2012 Mac Mini (MD387LL/A) vs Newest Mac Mini Base Model

roystreet

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
I've been seriously thinking about getting a Mac mini and I'm looking at getting just base model since it won't be the daily driver. But I've come across the 2012 top of the line model (MD387LL/A) for around the same price as the current base model.

Does anyone know why I wouldn't buy the older one? The olde one that I've seen has more RAM and a faster processor. I'm not playing games on it besides solitaire probably. I think the older one can use the newest OS...I'm just trying to figure out a good reason why to not get the older one.

Thanks for any incite

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I was in the same boat recently when my 2011 died (no clue why but we did have a weird power spike overnight that may have fried it).

Really wanted a new Mini but wouldn't have bought the latest Mini in base model because no SSD. Could have gotten a higher end but Fusion drive only. I'd go for the 2012, up the RAM to 16gb (because you can) and swap out the HD for an SSD like a Samsung EVO. You'll get a great machine that should last a long time.

Altergeist

Nov 7, 2016
Visit site
I would definitely recommend the i7 2012 Mac mini over a more recent base model with an i5 in it. I've had the opportunity to use both at work, and the i7 with an SSD runs rings around the i5 model I tried. Also, post-2012 the RAM is soldered on IIRC, whereas in the 2012 models one could upgrade to 16GB of RAM with ease.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2