How many Contacts databases and who needs iCloud?

SolihullRog

Nov 16, 2016
Visit site
I've just got an iPhone, and wonder how many Contacts databases I need.

My main email address is held by Virgin Media - ending with [redacted]. I also have a gmail address, whose Contacts file is synced with [redacted] on my PC..

Googling confuses me with umpteen ways of setting up my email and Contacts.

My [redacted] Contacts file is held on the Virgin server and within Microsoft Outlook on my PC. I want it to be synced to something on my iPhone.

I'm confused whether (1) it will automatically be generated on my phone when I set up my email, (2) whether I need to get it there by syncing via my gmail address, or (3) whether I need to activate iCloud, or (4) all three.

Can anybody explain the simplest method, how different copies of my contacts would be held, and what would synchronise them?

Last edited by a moderator:

kirankannan8

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
Hi! From your question I can understand that you have 2 primary acounts with some same contacts in both of them.
And I think you want to set up email for both the accounts and contacts for jusy one of those. Am I right?

SolihullRog

Nov 16, 2016
Visit site
Hello, and thank you for replying.

Yes, I have two email accounts - blueyonder being my primary via Microsoft Outlook on my Windows PC, and gmail being my secondary.

I use gmail for webchat, purchasing enquiries, free online space, and other ad-hoc reasons.

I want one set of contacts which is shared between all my devices - Windows PC, iPad, and my recent iPhone.

I synchronise blueyonder contacts and gmail contacts via an Outlook add-on, on the PC (gsyncit).

I now want to synchronise everything with my iPhone. I've seen YouTube articles which suggest that I MUST use iCloud, but I'm beginning to wonder why.

I think that setting up gmail (for the contacts, but I don't need the email) on the phone, and using my blueyonder email account should do the trick. I have an iCloud account, but my only real use for it is for Find My iPhone. Do I need to do anything else with it?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2