Where does my text message go If I leave iMessage and then return shortly after?

I

iMore Question

This has been Bothering me since I first got an iPhone 6. While I am typing out a long text message a phone call will come or I leave the messaging app to answer an email, etc. The long text message when I go back is completely gone and never to be seen again. My question is where does it go? There is no 'drafts' section in iMessage and most of the time the message in question took an hour or more to write out and it's extremely important.

Occasionally the body of the message will reappear a half hour or so after it was lost- but it doesn't show where it came from or where it was found??

This has been my #1 issue with iPhones and I am surprised I can't find any forums or questions asked after this happens repeatedly to me and I can't be alone on it

To reiterate- the problem is when I am typing out a long text message somehow I get taken away from the message app to answer a phone call, go to emails or another app- when I return to the message it has completely disappeared with no sign of where it went or what happened to it

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

anon(9760316)

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
I have noticed the same issue happening to me as well in the past. Same description, sometimes it will show the message and sometimes it's completely gone. I don't have a solution for this issue. But I would like to ask you if you have "Background App Refresh" ON for the Messages app? This way we can try to isolate the issue if you would like.

surfmontauk

Nov 1, 2016
Visit site
I can't seem to find where to the background refresh question...I have searched absolutely eveywheee and I turned off the app refresh for all apps as that is all I could do. Still nothing and it is brutal as sometimes I will be writing an extremely involved business message and it's lost at the blink of an eye. Any advice I would appreciate so very much!

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
There is no 'drafts' section in iMessage and most of the time the message in question took an hour or more to write out and it's extremely important.

Sidenote: You take an hour or more composing one single iMessage?

To your question, there really isn't a drafts area. I'd imagine those messages are simply deleted. I think your case is unique as I'm not sure of many people who spend that much time composing a text. I'd recommend you compose your messages in the Notes app, then copy and paste them into the message. That would prevent the possibility of losing a message you've spent so much time on.

Or use email.

I've had instances where I will compose a message, leave the app and do something else, then come back and it will still be there. Other times it will be removed. I think it depends on what resources your phone requires. If it can do other tasks while keeping your message in tact it will. Otherwise it discards it so you can do whatever it is you're doing uninterrupted.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I can't seem to find where to the background refresh question...I have searched absolutely eveywheee and I turned off the app refresh for all apps as that is all I could do. Still nothing and it is brutal as sometimes I will be writing an extremely involved business message and it's lost at the blink of an eye. Any advice I would appreciate so very much!

It is honestly interesting to me that people are using text messaging as a means of sending long and important messages. It seems rather inefficient. Especially in a time where our emails are only a finger press away.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I've been testing this. I typed about 10 lines of text, then leave messages, go elsewhere, return, and the text is always there as I left it. Perhaps the message is simply too long for messages to keep. Try shorter messages and see if that works.

krtries

Nov 7, 2017
Visit site
This happens to me often. Long and short messages. Happened on my 6, now on 8+. Usually it happens if I am typing a text and get distracted with something, and the phone display turns off. Turning it back on and unlock, open iMessage, and the text is there for a half second then it disappears almost in a falling motion toward the bottom of the screen. Gone. Messages don't need to be long to be complicated and sometimes a decent amount of thought goes into what you are saying and how you say it. Especially if you are sending a group text because that form of comm is more applicable to the recipients (i.e. - my kids are going to see and reply to a text long before they'll ever get around to checking their email). In terms of the responses from people surprised with using texts instead of email, I'm just not sure you have any idea how others are using the tech to communicate so yes we all know we have email and when to use it but thank you for the suggestion, albeit one that doesn't solve this issue in any way. To this point, typing a text and having it vanish happens for no good reason. Maybe Apple will notice these posts one of these days and weigh in.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Messages are encrypted, whereas emails are not, so the former are more secure.

If we are talking about business emails, if security was a priority the company would have an encryption client to secure their emails. It's also easier for business' to manage the security of their email server than it is the security of their users devices. That text could be received by a person with no passcode who loses their phone and you'd have no control over that whereas if that same phone is lost, you could disable the email account. Many email server providers also have the ability to enroll the devices into an MDM platform and enforce security on the device.

Not sure you could really argue that texting is more secure than email in certain situations.

Mars20

Nov 28, 2017
Visit site
I wasn’t arguing. I was simply suggesting why the general user might choose iMessages over eMail sometimes.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I wasn't arguing. I was simply suggesting why the general user might choose iMessages over eMail sometimes.

As a general user; I don't check my emails as soon as they come in unless I'm waiting for something specific. Texting is a more efficient means of communicating more quickly. Keep in mind that that's going to vary depending on who you're texting, because some do not read their text messages as they come in. If it's really important I'll call.

It's going to vary from person to person. You just have to know if the person your texting typically checks their texts as they come in.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It is honestly interesting to me that people are using text messaging as a means of sending long and important messages. It seems rather inefficient. Especially in a time where our emails are only a finger press away.

‘Nuf said........Still, to each his or her own.

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
My experience is that short iMessages sometimes are retained & sometimes they disappear when leaving the app before sending it.

Good Luck

MXDawn

Dec 12, 2017
Visit site
I agree, once the phone display turns off and I then unlock it, I see the message for a second then it’s falling to the bottom of the screen, never to be seen again. I’ve found, it only happens to me when I have started a new text message, using the new message button on the top right of messaging. If I click on my message conversation with the other person to reply, what I have typed will still be there after the screen turns off and back on. But if I have started a new message (group or single, long or short) leave the phone then come back, the whole message is gone. Happened on my iPhone 6s and now on my X! This is ridiculous!!

TDS_Tarkin

Jan 7, 2018
Visit site
I agree, once the phone display turns off and I then unlock it, I see the message for a second then it’s falling to the bottom of the screen, never to be seen again. I’ve found, it only happens to me when I have started a new text message, using the new message button on the top right of messaging. If I click on my message conversation with the other person to reply, what I have typed will still be there after the screen turns off and back on. But if I have started a new message (group or single, long or short) leave the phone then come back, the whole message is gone. Happened on my iPhone 6s and now on my X! This is ridiculous!!

Same here. I type out 4-5 lines then get distracted and phone locks. when I come back its gone.
anyone figure it out.

esombers

Jan 20, 2018
Visit site
Perplexed

I look through threads often and would love to see an intelligent answer without the hyper subjective commentary. It isn't like the length of text is an issue as to why they are disappearing. While I have just tried to recreate this problem on my iPhone x I have not been able to recreate the issue.

I originally thought it disappeared but if I put everyone on the group iMessage, the text reappeared. I hope that is the problem if using iMessage. I had to put all recipients in the same order and it showed up.

For people like this, not necessarily you but you seem to fit the category.

Quis89
Q&A Team
Ambassador

1. Business emails can be subpoenaed or monitored far easier than texts.
2 iMessage and similar messaging are popular for group texting. So you don't see any situation where you start a text and it runs long because of any various reasons?
3. People like to preface statements like, Honestly, i don't understand why you do that. Why say honestly? do you lie ever time you don't give us advance notice you are going to tell the truth now
4. There is also the to each his type comment, which clearly wasn't the point of the message.

Like I previously said, I would love to go to a Q & A and get an answer to question instead of everyone's opinion on why the person did something wrong and you are giving them advice for the future when they needs answers for something in the past. No doubt if you are going to compose something significant texting isn't the best way but I am not sure if any of you have kids but my daughter never launches her email app when she chats/group chats.

I couldn't recreate the problem but I tried a few different scenarios. I composed text and didn't send. I powered phone off. Text was still there.

I composed text and let phone run itself out of power. Again text was still there.

I composed text and just let go to lock screen. Again text was still there.

Since we are spending time not answering the question, why doesn't apple throw an unfinished text to drafts. I apologize for my ignorance but i thought droids does go to drafts (or am I wrong?) and I think they go to sent/deleted folder too.

Wonder why iPhone doesn't have similar features. Wonder if message will have bcc. Dangerous feature on exchange, why doesn't it say, "Hey dummy you just hit reply to all and you were bcc'd so the sending did anyone on recipient list to know you have it).

Back to original problems there is a bunch of freeware that said it would work as long as not over written. I will gave the classic stupid answer....IF you backed up phone in between composing test retrieve it from iTunes or icoud.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful and doing exactly what i complained about. Last annoying boring point, still to the point that people aren't considering why the text could be longer or exposed and why that could occur. From getting a call while texting like someone mentioned or you just get interrupted and have to continue later.

I know many office workers that will avoid using office mail for personal reasons. Especially if you include the legal situations, they would have to go to Apple who I am sure would fight going up that info as opposed to your company.

Have a good weekend everyone.

Eric

Feb 17, 2018
Visit site
This has been Bothering me since I first got an iPhone 6. While I am typing out a long text message a phone call will come or I leave the messaging app to answer an email, etc. The long text message when I go back is completely gone and never to be seen again. My question is where does it go? There is no 'drafts' section in iMessage and most of the time the message in question took an hour or more to write out and it's extremely important.

Occasionally the body of the message will reappear a half hour or so after it was lost- but it doesn't show where it came from or where it was found??

This has been my #1 issue with iPhones and I am surprised I can't find any forums or questions asked after this happens repeatedly to me and I can't be alone on it

To reiterate- the problem is when I am typing out a long text message somehow I get taken away from the message app to answer a phone call, go to emails or another app- when I return to the message it has completely disappeared with no sign of where it went or what happened to it

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Whenever I’m typing a long text I “draft” it in the Notes app and, when ready, copy and paste it into messages. This way I kinda have a backup if I need it as I’be annoyingly lost messages while drafting them in messages.

maloneseanp

Mar 12, 2018
Visit site
I am amazed!

The forum had a person asking a simple question regarding the technical response of the iPhone.

The responses seemed very subjective - “why are you typing such a long text”, “you should type it first somewhere else and then paste it into text”

Just answer the question if you can. This person is asking for help, they are not asking for judgement and/or criticism.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234