iPhone 8 for $8 a month📱:Check it out at Sprint | Order: AirPods 2 | New iPhones
    As a general user; I don't check my emails as soon as they come in unless I'm waiting for something specific. Texting is a more efficient means of communicating more quickly. Keep in mind that that's going to vary depending on who you're texting, because some do not read their text messages as they come in. If it's really important I'll call.

It's going to vary from person to person. You just have to know if the person your texting typically checks their texts as they come in.
    Exactly! This person asked a serious question and was given no useful response, simply chastised for using iMessages instead of e-mails by a bunch of know-it-alls that apparently have nothing better to do than to tell everyone else how they should be communicating. Well how about this, what if you don’t feel like running around searching for a bunch of people’s e-mail addresses, or maybe you don’t even know their e-mail addresses, but you have an important message you need to send them? Who cares if people want to use I-messaging/texting to communicate rather than e-mail?? The fact is, the original poster brings up a valid point, why do those messages disappear? This has happened to me and it’s super frustrating
    robrich247 likes this.
    02-22-2019 09:23 AM
    I have discovered the same issue and for myself, this is a serious issue Apple should be addressing in a future update to IOS.

As others have stated, SMS text has become the primary forum of communication in the business world. I have noticed more and more of my clients prefer it over email for short communications.

We should have a feature to save an text message and also have a buffer that stores the message before you send it so it doesn’t get wiped out when you get a phone call or are interrupted in the middle of composing a text and when you come back to finish it, you’ve discovered it’s gone and have to start over.

This is 2018 and your competitors OS has these functions already integrated into their SMS features, no excuse why Apple shouldn’t be at least on par with their competitors SMS text functionality. Just my two sense.
    02-22-2019 06:23 PM
    It might be worthwhile to submit feedback to Apple: https://www.apple.com/feedback/?afid...45&subId2=vbim
    bakron1 likes this.
    02-22-2019 07:12 PM
    It might be worthwhile to submit feedback to Apple: https://www.apple.com/feedback/?afid...60&subId2=vbim
    Just submitted my request, see how far is goes.
    Annie_8plus likes this.
    02-22-2019 07:56 PM
    Experienced this problem yesterday for the first time. The text was short enough that I could remember what I had recently composed. Tried to find it via the workaround above, but did not see the original content.
    02-23-2019 08:25 AM
    I know this is a two year old thread, but I tried something yesterday while at work.

I started composing a text message to myself with the idea of stopping and coming back to it later on. So I got my message started and took a screen shot:

Where does my text message go If I leave iMessage and then return shortly after?-img_6699.jpg

No sooner did I take that screen shot than I got a phone call from a coworker. After the call I searched for some information on the web that my coworker was asking about. Went back to messages and composed a new message to him and send him a text. Played on Facebook and Instagram a while, sent a few other text messages, several dozen emails, some Youtube TV during lunch, etc.

Went back to my message about 2 1/2 hours later to see this:

Where does my text message go If I leave iMessage and then return shortly after?-img_6702.jpg

My message was right where I left it.

Now I don't normally send a text message of any great length, so I don't know if I can ever duplicate the issue the OP is having. But in my very unofficial test, the message I was composing was still there when I went back.
    02-23-2019 08:13 PM
    This doesn't always work unfortunately.
    03-11-2019 02:30 PM
    When I was still on iOS 10.1.1, my text messages were always there when I returned. Lately, I've noticed they vanish when I leave and come back. Not every time, but most times.
    03-11-2019 03:05 PM
    I’ve had this Exact issue for 3 years on my 6+ (disappearing drafted newly originated texts) and adapted my behaviors to minimize it. I had hoped my new XS Max would resolve it. Nope. So I began reading and reading - no help. But I started noticing a possible pattern in complaints so I tried a few things and BAM - on my second tinker, IT STOPPED! I’m only 30 mins into the issue being resolved for the first time ever, so it may come back - but if it does, maybe this will give someone smarter than I a clue to the source of the issue?

Go to Settings/Messages and turn ‘Show Contact photos off’. It now worked for me. Ever a gluten for punishment, I then turned it back on - And it still worked for me!! I’m Sooo happy right now.
    Last edited by justForThisOneIssue; 03-18-2019 at 06:56 PM.
    03-18-2019 06:04 PM
    I’ve had this Exact issue for 3 years on my 6+ (disappearing drafted newly originated texts) and adapted my behaviors to minimize it. I had hoped my new XS Max would resolve it. Nope. So I began reading and reading - no help. But I started noticing a possible pattern in complaints so I tried a few things and BAM - on my second tinker, IT STOPPED! I’m only 30 mins into the issue being resolved for the first time ever, so it may come back - but if it does, maybe this will give someone smarter than I a clue to the source of the issue?

Go to Settings/Messages and turn ‘Show Contact photos off’. It now worked for me. Ever a gluten for punishment, I then turned it back on - And it still worked for me!! I’m Sooo happy right now.
    03-18-2019 07:20 PM

03-19-2019 04:26 PM
    I have had this issue for 4 years (Iphone 5, 6+ and the XS Max) yet nobody I knew could reproduce it on their iphones. I just got the max, restored it with my prior phone settings - same issue. Reset it to factory - same issue! Went and got a replacement at the store (just in case my prior settings infected it somehow) - SAME ISSUE!

That got me thinking - it has to be loading from something in the SIM or iCloud. I'll save you the (rest of the) long diatribe and just get to the answer:

SOLUTION: SETTINGS/APPLE ID ETC. (top selection)/ICLOUD/MESSAGES (turn it on). That was the only difference I could find between my phone and 3 other iPhones I had in front of me and Voila! I can click on lots of other apps, sleep the phone, and when I return to text messages - the draft is still there. I'm guessing that iCloud being on somehow saves it? Who knows/who cares - I've not had the issue for almost a month now...I even restored my old phone settings (save this one adjustment) and it worked then too. (FYI - here is they only other tweak that ever worked for me, but after a week or so, the problem resumed: Go to Settings/Messages and turn ‘Show Contact photos off’.)
    Annie_8plus likes this.
    04-07-2019 10:07 PM
    I have had this issue for 4 years (Iphone 5, 6+ and the XS Max) yet nobody I knew could reproduce it on their iphones. I just got the max, restored it with my prior phone settings - same issue. Reset it to factory - same issue! Went and got a replacement at the store (just in case my prior settings infected it somehow) - SAME ISSUE!

That got me thinking - it has to be loading from something in the SIM or iCloud. I'll save you the (rest of the) long diatribe and just get to the answer:

SOLUTION: SETTINGS/APPLE ID ETC. (top selection)/ICLOUD/MESSAGES (turn it on). That was the only difference I could find between my phone and 3 other iPhones I had in front of me and Voila! I can click on lots of other apps, sleep the phone, and when I return to text messages - the draft is still there. I'm guessing that iCloud being on somehow saves it? Who knows/who cares - I've not had the issue for almost a month now...I even restored my old phone settings (save this one adjustment) and it worked then too. (FYI - here is they only other tweak that ever worked for me, but after a week or so, the problem resumed: Go to Settings/Messages and turn ‘Show Contact photos off’.)
    Thanks for sharing this! A lot of people will be thrilled to learn this! Also, welcome to iMore!
    04-08-2019 04:15 PM
    I create drafts via my phone all the time and on numerous occasions, I’ve started an iMessage conversation then became distracted and then returned hours later and the draft was still present and waiting for me to finish. Therefore, your alleged true answer is false. Now if you’re dissatisfied with Apple products and services, so be it. Everybody here understands that they are not for everyone. With that being said, I’ve learned over the years that a good deal of the “frustration that people have had to deal with” is self-inflicted.

In the meantime, thank you for your response and I hope you become a productive member of the iMore Forums. Take care.
    I only joined this site to respond to this message by Just_Me_D & seeing as though he is a senior moderator I'm sure I will probably be ejected from this community after what I'm about to say. Just because you tried to recreate the situation & came up with a different result it DOES NOT make anyone else's claim to be false! You are a rude, condescending, over opinionated, power tripping keyboard warrior and in no way should you be the lead moderator of ANY forum, where people "should be" free to voice their problems in search of a solution from the community. I myself ended up reading this thread because I had the exact same issue. I was typing a text, received a notification, pressed the home button to navigate to another app, text GONE. So tell me genius, is that false too??? I don't understand how someone comes here for help & they get belittled not only by ***** forum members but the lead moderator? FFS! I'd love to catch you on the street one day. See how condescending you are with my fist rammed down your throat? Anyways if anyone actually gets to read this before it gets deleted who has a solution please pm me if my account hasn't been deleted. Thanks
    cwext likes this.
    04-20-2019 03:39 PM
    04-20-2019 03:44 PM
    I only joined this site to respond to this message by Just_Me_D & seeing as though he is a senior moderator I'm sure I will probably be ejected from this community after what I'm about to say.
    Unless you’re going to be vulgar, I doubt you’ll be ejected from stating your opinion. Besides, my skin is quite thick. I can take it.
    Just because you tried to recreate the situation & came up with a different result it DOES NOT make anyone else's claim to be false!
    That is true.
    You are a rude, condescending, over opinionated, power tripping keyboard warrior
    You clearly don’t know me and haven’t read enough of my numerous posts because if you had, you’d discover that I’m not what you’ve described. Still, I’ll take your opinion of me.
    and in no way should you be the lead moderator of ANY forum where people "should be" free to voice their problems in search of a solution from the community.
    Again, I’ll take your opinion of me.
    I myself ended up reading this thread because I had the exact same issue. I was typing a text, received a notification, pressed the home button to navigate to another app, text GONE. So tell me genius, is that false too???
    Maybe. Maybe not, but if you say it happened, I’ll take your word for it.
    I don't understand how someone comes here for help & they get belittled not only by ***** forum members but the lead moderator?
    Okay
    FFS! I'd love to catch you on the street one day. See how condescending you are with my fist rammed down your throat?
    Wow!
    Anyways if anyone actually gets to read this before it gets deleted who has a solution please pm me if my account hasn't been deleted. Thanks
    Your post is still here and I hope you find a solution to your text dilemma. Take care.
    wilber1, Trees and Annie_8plus like this.
    04-20-2019 03:51 PM
    Despite some of the replies to your question, yours is NOT an isolated issue. It happens to me every single time I am in the process of composing an sms text and have to leave the messaging app, even just for a second. It also happens if, while composing a text, I set my phone down long enough for it to “go to sleep” and and the screen turns off. It does not matter whether the message is long, short or somewhere in between.

As noted, I have noticed that this only happens when sending messages as sms text rather than iMessage (texting someone who does not have an iPhone). So maybe this is Apple’s way of kindly encouraging everyone to get iPhones so they can further extend their global dominance of the mobile device world.

For those questioning why anyone would send long form information over text rather than email, a) why does it matter? and b) it happens regardless the length of the message.

It happened to me again moments ago (the reason I found this forum) while attempting to reach out to a family member for whom I have no other contact information besides their phone #. And yes, I had spent an inordinate amount of time composing the message when a phone call came in. I rejected the call, but when my screen returned to the messaging app, the text was gone.

I prefer iPhone to other brands for multiple reasons, and this issue is on a short list of con’s compared to the many pro’s. But it is an extremely frustrating con that it seems could be easily fixed
    05-08-2019 01:10 PM
    I am having this same problem now with my iPhone 8. Did Apple never solve it? It is time consuming to re-create even short messages if interrupted. Does anybody have a work around that does not involve drafting everything in Notes or another app prior to sending?
    05-10-2019 10:34 AM
    I am having this same problem now with my iPhone 8. Did Apple never solve it? It is time consuming to re-create even short messages if interrupted. Does anybody have a work around that does not involve drafting everything in Notes or another app prior to sending?
    If I have a long and involved text message, I type it in Notes and then copy and paste it into iMessage. You can also use and App’s like “Drafts”.
    05-10-2019 11:07 AM
    Nothing more infuriating than having to re-compose a message, it happens to me occasionally Always with SMS never imessage .
    05-11-2019 10:49 AM
    I use to have this issue, but haven’t experienced it in a few years, since being able to back up messages to iCloud. Ever since the option was available, I’ve had it turned on. I always set my phones up as new, so this was a welcome addition to iOS & allows me to continue my messages where I left off. I would, definitely, suggest turning on messages in iCloud. If it’s already turned on, I would contact Apple support or make a genius appointment because there’s a reason some people are having this issue and some aren’t.
    Annie_8plus and scruffypig like this.
    05-18-2019 09:54 AM
    Some people here are rude, if they read this message I hope they take a chance to revaluate their contribution, and I hope they didn’t bury the actual answer too far down.

I had the same problem. If I left I message with an unsent text it would fall off the screen when I returned.

You aren’t properly signed into iMessage or you have 2 different accounts.

Go to settings > messages > send and receive & correct your information.
    Yesterday 12:55 PM
    Bingo! Thanks for being brief, to the point, and solving the problem!
    Yesterday 12:58 PM
73 123