How can I switch off iCloud without it taking my photos & desktop folders hostage?

I

iMore Question

Starting to really hate iCloud. Whenever I delete anything from one device it pops it back on there. iCloud throws it back on. I have even tried to manage from my iCloud account and selected the "Delete on ALL Devices" with no real joy. When I try to switch iCloud off, it wants to take all my photos hostage onto the cloud - deleting it OFF my device with absolutely no other option. So I cannot clear space on my phone. Total catch 22. Help! I want to get rid of iCloud, but the moment you try, it takes all your info hostage. When I try tried to sign out on my desktop ALL MY FOLDERS disappeared. iCloud kept on trying to update everything I did on my desktop, which slowed me down horribly. Any advice before I BREAK something?

Jeroen7

Sep 9, 2015
Visit site
re: How can I switch off iCloud without it taking my photos & desktop folders hostage?

If your photo's are also on your desktop computer, you can move them from the photostream folder to another place so they will be safe. Then you can let icloud remore your photos and add them again later.

What is the actual problem you are trying to solve? Is it shortage of space on your phone?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
re: How can I switch off iCloud without it taking my photos & desktop folders hostage?

Unless I misread your post, iCloud is a sync service in which what you do on one device is reflected on the others. For example, if all of your devices are configured with the same iCloud ID, and you opted to delete a photo from one device, that same photo will be deleted from the others. You're saying that a deleted pic returns, and that shouldn't happen. Is Photo Stream enabled on your devices? Do you have iCloud Photo Library enabled on your devices? If you have both enabled, disable Photo Stream and only use the iCloud Photo Library. Also, make sure the photos are deleted from the "Recently Deleted" folder within the Photos app.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site

If your photo's are also on your desktop computer, you can move them from the photostream folder to another place so they will be safe. Then you can let icloud remore your photos and add them again later.

What is the actual problem you are trying to solve? Is it shortage of space on your phone?

Unless I misread your post, iCloud is a sync service in which what you do on one device is reflected on the others. For example, if all of your devices are configured with the same iCloud ID, and you opted to delete a photo from one device, that same photo will be deleted from the others. You're saying that a deleted pic returns, and that shouldn't happen. Is Photo Stream enabled on your devices? Do you have iCloud Photo Library enabled on your devices? If you have both enabled, disable Photo Stream and only use the iCloud Photo Library. Also, make sure the photos are deleted from the "Recently Deleted" folder within the Photos app.

Combining 2 GREAT answers in to a "best answer" ;)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711