Is an upgrade to MacOS Sierra necessary ?

I

iMore Question

I own an MBA early 2014 13inches and i upgraded a while back to the OS X El Capitan, which has been working beautifully. I like newness lol, and i'd like to upgrade to the new MacOs. But i have concerns it may not bode well for the mac, like it might crash or something. I think it's a bit old for this new OS, or is it ? Thoughts, anyone ?

kayodeaseweje

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
Wow, i've had this exact same question in mind. I don't think a Macbook air 2014 is so old though, it's really just one mac behind the Macbook 12 inches series. About the crashing concerns, i'd like an answer to that too lol. I really don't know.

DarlaMack

Apple TV Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
According to the [URL="https://www.apple.com/macos/how-to-upgrade/#mn_p]support page[/URL] your MacBook Air should be fine since it is compatible.

For details about your Mac model, click the Apple icon at the top left of your screen, choose About This Mac, then choose More Info. These Mac models are compatible with macOS Sierra:

MacBook (Late 2009 or newer)
MacBook Pro (Mid 2010 or newer)
MacBook Air (Late 2010 or newer)
Mac mini (Mid 2010 or newer)
iMac (Late 2009 or newer)
Mac Pro (Mid 2010 or newer)

nikkimd11

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
Well I have a MacBook Pro 2011 (late) currently on El Capitan and have no regrets on having updated to it, have had no issues of it running slower or not being optimum for my older mac, I plan to upgrade to macsierra as well, so I really would go for it, 2014 mac to me is still pretty new