iOS 10 - body of emails not consistently displaying

I

iMore Question

Since the update, my work Outlook emails that sync are still coming in but I am no longer able to see any HTML and some messages that are only text. I have looked through all my settings and can't figure out how to change this. It's my work phone and my lifeline when I am on the road so I have to be able to see the full body of an email. Thanks SO much for your help!

stephens3181

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
Thanks so much. My work email is through Exchange and is synced up to my iPhone. The messages will show on the 3 line previews but when I click on the email itself to read the entire message (or thread), the screen remains blank.

stephens3181

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
And I should mention that it's inconsistent. Some messages display while others don't. I thought it was an HTML issue but it's both text and HTML that won't pull up the whole message and some of them are pulling up. I can't see the rhyme or reason

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Could be connectivity issues? Are you in a strong cellular area, or in a WiFi area, is the WiFi good? If you have a weak cell or WiFi signal THAT could be preventing the email from coming in at times, try opening the same emails at different times when you KNOW you have a good signal. OR if the WiFi you are using is "suspect" turn off WiFi and use cellular and see if THAT lets the email download. :)

stephens3181

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
Thank you so much. I hope it's something like that. I do have a pretty strong connection right now though on wifi (although not on cellular). I have 4 bars on wifi. Sigh.

stephens3181

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
Okay, I just tried that on a full wifi signal and a 4 bar cell signal. Neither is working. Perhaps I should try to go back to ios9 until this bug gets worked out. It's work-critical that I be able to see and access all emails on my phone. :redface:

pkcable

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Thank you so much. I hope it's something like that. I do have a pretty strong connection right now though on wifi (although not on cellular). I have 4 bars on wifi. Sigh.

Did you try my first suggestion, deleting the email account from settings and then adding it again? This will cause it to refresh all its settings. It will have to probably download a bunch of mail and bog down your device for a few minutes, BUT it's worth a try, when you don't have important calls.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
i have had previous issues where the text shows up very small and only going across "landscape" almost like there is no word wrap......

But always fixes itself by closing out email message and reopening.

stephens3181

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
Oh I misunderstood your suggestion. Thank you! I will try that. ***** question - where do I go to delete the account? I can't seem to find that option in the email settings. I'm a mess.

pkcable

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Oh I misunderstood your suggestion. Thank you! I will try that. ***** question - where do I go to delete the account? I can't seem to find that option in the email settings. I'm a mess.

Go to Settings, Mail, Accounts, then click on the account in question, and select delete account. THEN go back one level and select Add Account, go through the process of adding your account back. :)

cocong

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

I have the same issue since I upgraded to IOS10 today. It is the same for all my email accounts, gmail, Yahoo and exchange. I tried to remove and add back the accounts but still can't see the email body contents, only the preview.

I'm on an iPhone 5SE so surprised that others haven't seen this.

pkcable

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Must be an intermittent issue effecting only certain users. I just upgraded also and I am fine. I have checked Yahoo, AOL, Gmail and Live mail, and all are fine. :)

pkcable

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Just an update on this. I saw another thread discussing this on the apple site - https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7664931?start=0&tstart=0 so I deleted all 3 accounts and readded them one by one and it now works. However, when I added my exchange account it seems to break again. At least I have 2 accounts working again and I can try to understand why my work exchange account is causing display issues.

FTR, I do NOT have a work exchange account (we moved to a web based client, crazy right??? lol), so I don't have one to add. Perhaps this IS where the problem lies with exchange accounts. Thanks for the headsup! Hopefully Apple can solve this with . point update.

cocong

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
Seems to be a problem with exchange addresses containing an apostrophe so probably needs a fix from Apple.

Techradar: "Emails don't appear in iOS 10 Mail app

If you're using iOS 10 and you open up the Mail app, you may be greeted with a blank screen. A number of iOS 10 users are reporting this problem, and they all seem to have one thing in common: having an apostrophe in their email address.

It appears that a bug in iOS 10 is preventing the Mail app from showing these addresses. So, if you do have an email address with an apostrophe in it, you'll have to wait for a fix from Apple. In the meantime, if you have other email accounts you can make emails to those addresses appear by removing the mail account with the apostrophe from the Mail app. The other email addresses will now appear.

Many email accounts let you forward mail to another email address, so until a fix is released you could set emails that go to your email address with an apostrophe to be forwarded to another address. The process for this varies depending on the email provider, so visit the website of the company that supplies your email address for more information."

pkcable

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Seems to be a problem with exchange addresses containing an apostrophe so probably needs a fix from Apple.

Techradar: "Emails don't appear in iOS 10 Mail app

If you're using iOS 10 and you open up the Mail app, you may be greeted with a blank screen. A number of iOS 10 users are reporting this problem, and they all seem to have one thing in common: having an apostrophe in their email address.

It appears that a bug in iOS 10 is preventing the Mail app from showing these addresses. So, if you do have an email address with an apostrophe in it, you'll have to wait for a fix from Apple. In the meantime, if you have other email accounts you can make emails to those addresses appear by removing the mail account with the apostrophe from the Mail app. The other email addresses will now appear.

Many email accounts let you forward mail to another email address, so until a fix is released you could set emails that go to your email address with an apostrophe to be forwarded to another address. The process for this varies depending on the email provider, so visit the website of the company that supplies your email address for more information."

Thanks bro! I've marked you as "best answer" Hopefully Apple will quickly have a fix for us. :) Please let us know if when you get any additional info. :) Thanks for the work-around! :)

Smotey Mote

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
I am having this issue and I do not have an apostrophe in my email address. I've tried everything and all the suggestions on here and don't know what to do at this point other than forward emails and reply later on my computer (need the email address to reply to listservs so I can't reply from a forwarded email address.)

This is so frustrating. Any other suggestions would be welcome

morinkd

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
i had this happen to a user at work (does have an apostrophe in their last name). however, i only noticed this issue happening in email threads/chains. this happened in the Native iOS Mail App (setup as Exchange). i went to set them up in the Outlook App (setup as Exchange) and noticed it was doing the same thing...not loading/blank for emails that were in a thread/chain. single emails were fine. i went and turned off "Organize by Thread" (under Mail Settings) and was able to view emails fine in both native iOS Mail App and i changed the setting within the Outlook App. This is only a workaround and they would still have to search for the older emails in that thread/chain.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro