On iPhone, I have only 12 photos but Photo Library is taking up 514 MB of space

sf2photo

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
I've been backing up all my photos onto my computer and then deleting them off my iPhone 5s in order to clean up space on the phone. I literally have only 12 photos left on the phone now and no videos. Nothing in the Recently Deleted album. I have about 80 Shared Albums with maybe 2,000 photos in them total, but my understanding is that they're stored in iCloud rather than locally on the device.

Yet when I go into Settings > General > Storage & iCloud Usage > Manage Storage, I see that Photos & Camera is still occupying 516 MB of space. When I tap on that, Photo Library is virtually all of it: 514 MB.

Any idea why with almost no photos on the phone, the Photo Library is over half a gigabyte in size? I've done a force restart and there's no change afterwards. I'm running the latest iOS - 9.3.4. Thanks for any thoughts.

Boltagar

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
Try changing the date on your phone back a few months and you might see a whole lot of pictures appearing in your 'recently deleted' folder. Delete those. Should clear up space.

sf2photo

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
Right, thanks -- I'd tried that solution before I posted the note, but it didn't work for me. I've had the phone since February 2014 so I changed the date to four or five different dates since then and each time after setting the date I checked the Deleted albums in Photos. But there never were any photos in it.

So for me it's something else and I can't figure out what. Thanks for any help.

Elwaleed Mahmoud

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site
You have to turn off icloud back up and sharing, those are the two that are causing the problem. Then restart device and see what happens. It happened to me this fixed it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro