Anyone else notice that their home screen is darker in iOS 10?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
We may be talking about two different things. I'm not comparing the home screen to the gallery. I'm talking about comparing the lock screen to the home screen.
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161009/98d4a0cd475277d988e1f666f0ecb563.png

It's on both screens. Home and Lock. They do it so on the lock screen, the time/date stands out. On the home screen, it's so the app icons pop. Either screen it's ridiculous.

Update: I tested the lock screen a bit. It's a lot better than it used to be. The white and black text shows when it should and the darkening is all but gone. Here's from 2? years ago. My iPhone 5 lock screen comparison.
d76f747f6804c1ecd292151a76a3252a.jpg

Maybe there's hope for the home screen.
Well, I spoke too soon. It still darkens on the lock screen. It's all a matter of color and shade. Here's the same wallpaper I did over 2 years ago on my iPhone 5 shown here on my 6s Plus:
39f0928a7b87e212c112413e6d04eda0.jpg

Go figure!

Last edited:

Sipho Mandle

Oct 13, 2016
Visit site
I know exactly how to fix it. It's actually funny, Apple replaced my 6s because of this 'problem', however it is just a small setting. Go to Accessibility in Settings, and do to DISPLAY ACCOMODATIONS, and then turn off the Reduce White Point :)

Westiemom

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I know exactly how to fix it. It's actually funny, Apple replaced my 6s because of this 'problem', however it is just a small setting. Go to Accessibility in Settings, and do to DISPLAY ACCOMODATIONS, and then turn off the Reduce White Point :)

I got all excited and went to this immediately, but it was already off, so can't help me. 😞

CyreneK

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site

Mine was already off, too:(

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Mine was already off. The only fix I found for the excess darkening in iOS 10 was Reset All Settings. But that only gets it back to normal darkening. It's not a bug. Apple darkens the screens intentionally so app icons and what not show up better. Pop as they say.

TuneIn Radio uses the same darkening on the header.

CyreneK

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
I left feedback. All I can say is the difference between the lock screen and home screen I posted above did NOT occur in previous versions of IOS.

Emimcc

Sep 22, 2017
Visit site
I’ve figured out that if you just screen shot a picture of a completely white back ground on google, up load that as your home screen, then replace it with your desired picture it makes it normal again