Anyone else notice that their home screen is darker in iOS 10?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Yep, this is true. As soon as I downgraded back to iOS 9, my wallpaper is normal again \o/

When I first started iOS 10 beta, there was a lot more darkening than normal. It was awful. When the next beta update came I Reset All Settings. That fixed it back to normal. I wish they would do away with the darkening all together. I'm on 10.1 beta and it still looks normal. If you're waiting for Apple to fix something, it won't happen. Reset All Settings did fix it for me.

Westiemom

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Wallpapers looking darker than they shouldwhen used

Not sure if this is a good place to ask this question- please redirect me if not. I just got my first iPhone after using Android for a long time. Since I never had one I wanted to try it out. I'm a power user who made my own widgets and used apps like Kustom Live Wallpaper to heavily customize my home screen. (Just saying this to say I'm not a newby when it comes to smart phones) I wanted to give iOS a try and I really am enjoying my first week. Got the 6S plus since 7 is not dramatically different and didn't want to wait on it. (Lol! No patience) It's a beautiful device!
But my question is this.... when I choose a picture from photos and set it as wallpaper, it is always darker and less vibrant than it is in the photo gallery. Doesn't matter what brightness I have set for the screen, always darker when I set the picture as my wallpaper.
Am I missing something that could correct this? I am certainly not up to speed navigating my way in this OS.
Thanks for any help someone can offer!!

CyreneK

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
When I first started iOS 10 beta, there was a lot more darkening than normal. It was awful. When the next beta update came I Reset All Settings. That fixed it back to normal. I wish they would do away with the darkening all together. I'm on 10.1 beta and it still looks normal. If you're waiting for Apple to fix something, it won't happen. Reset All Settings did fix it for me.

I tried that twice on my phone and iPad. It didn't work at all.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Wallpapers looking darker than they shouldwhen used

I just noticed it's a tad darker because of this thread. Not sure what can be done about it but for the pic I have as my wallpaper, the darker version is much easier on my eyes. Hopefully someone that knows a little more about the wallpaper settings will chime in.

CyreneK

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
If you're stuck with a darker than usual screen due to Apple darkening it, you can leave Apple feedback here:
Feedback
https://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html#mn_p

Or use dark theme wallpapers.

Thank you. I sent feedback. I had no darkening whatsoever with ios9. Every one of my devices now running ios10 are significantly darker. This includes 3 iPhone 6s's, one 6s plus and two iPad Air 2's, not to mention all the demo iPhone 7's I've looked at. An Apple Store employee has noticed it too and had no explanation. I've sent the feedback to Apple.

Westiemom

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Glad to know it's not just me. I got my phone a week ago and it updated to 10.0.2 the same day I got it. I thought maybe something was wrong with my particular phone and I might need to take it back. I think I'll try the reset all settings fix. Thanks for sharing that.

CyreneK

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
Glad to know it's not just me. I got my phone a week ago and it updated to 10.0.2 the same day I got it. I thought maybe something was wrong with my particular phone and I might need to take it back. I think I'll try the reset all settings fix. Thanks for sharing that.

Please write back if it works for you or not.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Thank you. I sent feedback. I had no darkening whatsoever with ios9. Every one of my devices now running ios10 are significantly darker. This includes 3 iPhone 6s's, one 6s plus and two iPad Air 2's, not to mention all the demo iPhone 7's I've looked at. An Apple Store employee has noticed it too and had no explanation. I've sent the feedback to Apple.

The darkening depends on the color and shade of the wallpapers. It's been on all the phone's a long time. Here's a comparison I did about 2 years ago on my iPhone 5. On the left is the wallpaper, the right is the screen.
a76cb5d5b0901c776535fef8b6985875.jpg

Westiemom

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I did reset my phone and just finished fixing my settings back as I had them. Unfortunately the wallpaper is still darker than the picture is when viewed in the gallery. As said already, it is more noticeable with some pictures than others. I love a vibrant screen so I hope this will get remedied in an update.

CyreneK

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site

Westiemom

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I see the difference there too. I didn't notice the lock screen-home screen difference on mine because I have different wallpapers on each one. But definitely a difference!
I did submit feedback to Apple as CyreneK suggested.

CyreneK

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
I see the difference there too. I didn't notice the lock screen-home screen difference on mine because I have different wallpapers on each one. But definitely a difference!
I did submit feedback to Apple as CyreneK suggested.

Thank you! Maybe with people complaining about it, they will fix it. I typically use light backgrounds, after years of an amoled screen with android eating your battery necessitating the need for dark backgrounds, and I use the same one for lock screen and home screens. During the beta was when I noticed it going "dark" when I unlocked. Thanks to Ledsteplin for providing the link

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR