I have tried 42 different ways to achieve this scenario, and it's starting to seem impossible:

Have Apple Music subscription
    Download songs from Apple Music for offline play on iPhone
    ***Must turn on iCloud Music Library to do so
    NOT have the 2,000 songs in my iTunes library - that aren't part of the 300 songs I sync to my iPhone in playlists & artist groupings - SHOW UP on my phone.

I have turned on and off this feature so many times in an attempt to stop this from happening that I'm not even sure if the music is in the process of uploading to the iCloud Library or just stuck halfway at this point.
    I know that I can toggle to "Show only music available offline" and that works great in plain view, but all the extra playlists I like having on my iTunes also showed up on my iPhone's library and they don't go away when I flip the toggle.
    Also, after reading all the mayhem (and having my playlists screwed around ie; missing songs) I honesty just don't want my (yes its backed up) iTunes library in the cloud at ALL.

I thought that by unchecking iCloud Music Library in my iTunes>preferences tab that this would stop happening, because in theory this would isolate iCloud Music Library to my iPhone's library & Apple music, not iTunes.

So the check is currently unchecked in iTunes, but as soon as I turned it on on my iPhone, a bunch of greyed out songs and playlists showed up in my music, which I can't play.

Is this going to fix itself & delete the extra crap from my phone because I now have the setting turned off in iTunes?
    Can I FIX THIS ANNOYANCE

Thank you so much to anyone who can offer insight!
    07-05-2016 11:52 PM
  2. Tartarus said: Best Answer

Hi, welcome to iMore.

Enabling iCloud Music Library allows you to have all your music in iTunes on Apple's cloud service.

When enabling iCloud Music Library on other iDevices, like your iPhone in this case, you get the choice to merge your current music on your iPhone with iCloud Music Library or remove your current music on your iPhone to replace it with music in your iCloud Music Library.

This way, you have one library and are able to save music you choose locally to your iPhone without using iTunes anymore. That's pretty convenient in my opinion. Music you don't want to see, you can hide by choosing the "Show Only Music Available Offline" toggle. Or you can make a playlist like "iPhone Music" and drag and drop songs you want for your iPhone to that playlist. This is what I do in my case.

If you want to have all your music in iCloud Music Library from your iTunes but choose not to have iCloud Music Library enabled on your phone, you can toggle iCloud Music Library off in Settings > Music on your phone and sync your music the old way with your phone.

Please join our forum if you have any questions regarding this.
    We're happy to help.
    Welcome to iMore! Our resident Apple Music guru, @Tartarus , will be along soon. If not tonight, in the morning. I don't subscribe.
    07-05-2016 11:58 PM
    Hi, welcome to iMore.

Enabling iCloud Music Library allows you to have all your music in iTunes on Apple's cloud service.

When enabling iCloud Music Library on other iDevices, like your iPhone in this case, you get the choice to merge your current music on your iPhone with iCloud Music Library or remove your current music on your iPhone to replace it with music in your iCloud Music Library.

This way, you have one library and are able to save music you choose locally to your iPhone without using iTunes anymore. That's pretty convenient in my opinion. Music you don't want to see, you can hide by choosing the "Show Only Music Available Offline" toggle. Or you can make a playlist like "iPhone Music" and drag and drop songs you want for your iPhone to that playlist. This is what I do in my case.

If you want to have all your music in iCloud Music Library from your iTunes but choose not to have iCloud Music Library enabled on your phone, you can toggle iCloud Music Library off in Settings > Music on your phone and sync your music the old way with your phone.

Please join our forum if you have any questions regarding this.
    We're happy to help.
    Ledsteplin likes this.
    07-06-2016 06:54 AM