Why hasn't Apple unlocked the FM chip in the iPhone?

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I keep hearing and seeing commercials about Next Radio, which "combines broadcast radio with the internet". The actual focus of the commercials encourages folks to download their app so that they can get news in case of some sort of disaster/weather emergency. Apparently, it's not available on Apple devices because Apple has not unlocked the FM chip.

I'm just thinking it would be nice to have access to an FM radio in case of an emergency and am wondering why Apple hasn't unlocked the chip. Do any of you have any idea why this might be?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Re: Next Radio

Won't happen. There's a lot more to an FM radio than just turning on a chip. Even if the hardware were available, there wouldn't be room for it all. The antenna itself would take a lot of space. You're better off buying a small FM radio.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
In addition, you can already receive emergency-related information via the iPhone. Simply go to Settings → Notifications, and then scroll down to the bottom to enable the toggle next to "AMBER Alerts" and "Emergency Alerts".

iDrizzy01

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
As do I. ESPN FM during my AM and PM commutes

On your phone? I doubt that. You hardly get that feature on recent flagship phones nowadays, even on Android phones. You wanna listen to FM radio, get a transistor radio. I mean there is reason why OEMs don't put them on smartphones these days. Try to to get my point.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
In addition, you can already receive emergency-related information via the iPhone. Simply go to Settings → Notifications, and then scroll down to the bottom to enable the toggle next to "AMBER Alerts" and "Emergency Alerts".

I've got that enabled, but I rarely receive Amber Alerts! But that could be because we haven't had many in our area. The commercials advertising this made it sound like iPhones came with FM receivers already built in. I didn't know if that was just propaganda or not!

And supposedly, this is supposed to work when data and networks are not available. The app is available for all Androids.

And for the record, I also listen to FM radio all day long... in my car, and at work iHeart radio. Since I live in an area where tornadoes and flooding occur fairly often, I was curious about this option.

Branta

Retired Network Moderator
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I keep hearing and seeing commercials about Next Radio, which "combines broadcast radio with the internet". The actual focus of the commercials encourages folks to download their app so that they can get news in case of some sort of disaster/weather emergency.
And supposedly, this is supposed to work when data and networks are not available. The app is available for all Androids.

Its an app. By definition it requires internet either by cellular or by WiFi, which means it is inherently unsuitable for emergency communication.

If the tornado or earthquake takes out your local cell tower(s) you WILL lose service just when you need it most. Even if you don't lose service you will be splitting the phone's limited battery power between radio and your other communication needs, and you have to decide the priority - do you talk to your family or listen for emergency broadcasts on radio?. Let me put it another way... will you rely on the "torch" app in your smartphone to be your emergency light, or do you have something more conventional?

I work in an industry where duplication of communication equipment is routine, and those who live long enough to learn understand that it is better to have several devices with "one function per box" rather than one single multipurpose device. My personal opinion, buy a small standalone radio and don't give yourself a single point of failure. Your car provides one potential proper radio and it has plenty of battery power available. You could even consider one of the hand generated emergency radios and go battery-free if you think batteries might be a potential risk.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Thank you for the explanation. :) I wasn't all that eager about downloading the app, but with all the hype on television and radio regarding emergency preparedness, I was merely curious. And your point about a small standalone radio is well taken. And of course there are our car radios as well.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
Re: Next Radio

Won't happen. There's a lot more to an FM radio than just turning on a chip. Even if the hardware were available, there wouldn't be room for it all. The antenna itself would take a lot of space. You're better off buying a small FM radio.
This is not true. BlackBerry Passport had FM radio on board and did not require anything like what you are insinuating would be required.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
This is not true. BlackBerry Passport had FM radio on board and did not require anything like what you are insinuating would be required.

Blackberry is not an iPhone. It would require space for the hardware. Might could be done, but I don't see Apple giving up thinness for FM radio.

Last edited:

Mr.Willie

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
The iPod nano has a built in FM receiver. It uses the headphone cable or audio out cable as an antenna. The one built into the 5th gen also had good sensitivity. Wife used one in her office for several years. Most other radios didn't work in her building.

iPhones have had FM radio receivers for several generations, but Apple had them disabled. It was part of one of the chipsets. I am not sure if the 6 series still has it built in or not, but it wouldn't make the device any thicker by enabling it.

ritesh

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for the explanation. :) I wasn't all that eager about downloading the app, but with all the hype on television and radio regarding emergency preparedness, I was merely curious. And your point about a small standalone radio is well taken. And of course there are our car radios as well.

You could also consider the: Sony MW1 Bluetooth Headset Built-in FM Radio and MP3 Player or similar wired/wireless headphones with inbuilt FM radio.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
Blackberry is not an iPhone. It would require space for the hardware. Might could be done, but I don't see Apple giving up thinness for FM radio.
My issue is with your entire premise which is baseless as you have no evidence to support your claim, yet you state it as fact.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
My issue is with your entire premise which is baseless as you have no evidence to support your claim, yet you state it as fact.

The National Association Of Broadcasters say that streaming an FM audio feed can drain a smartphone battery real fast. Also that on the iPhone, the antenna would have to be built in, which could add bulk. Google it!

Honey Beagle

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I keep hearing and seeing commercials about Next Radio, which "combines broadcast radio with the internet". The actual focus of the commercials encourages folks to download their app so that they can get news in case of some sort of disaster/weather emergency. Apparently, it's not available on Apple devices because Apple has not unlocked the FM chip.

I'm just thinking it would be nice to have access to an FM radio in case of an emergency and am wondering why Apple hasn't unlocked the chip. Do any of you have any idea why this might be?

I heard on The Tech Guy show the FM chip is unlocked. Only in the USA it is not.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro