I'm just a student in high school and I'm looking for a MacBook but each one has something negative which stops me from buying it. The MacBook Air has that low-res screen and bad speakers, the MacBook Pro is not that portable and the new MacBook has no USB port. But each one has something good which is really useful, the MacBook Air has superior battery life, the MacBook Pro has the Retina display and the new MacBook has a Retina display with really good speakers (which would be really helpful as I watch lots of YouTube videos) I mainly do that as well as office work so which one should I buy? The MacBook seems too gimmicky, the MacBook Air has that low-res screen, and the MacBook Pro can be a pain to lug around?
    05-20-2016 12:09 PM
    There are rumored new MBP next month so make your decision there. If I were you and the USB wasn't too big a deal, I would get the 2016 MacBook just released and a hub for USB.
    05-20-2016 12:14 PM
    There are rumored new MBP next month so make your decision there. If I were you and the USB wasn't too big a deal, I would get the 2016 MacBook just released and a hub for USB.
    I have a question (which no one seems to answer), can the MacBook Air play full HD video 1080p-4K without stuttering? Since it has a low-res screen I'm afraid it will stutter playing HD video
    05-20-2016 12:54 PM
    I have a question (which no one seems to answer), can the MacBook Air play full HD video 1080p-4K without stuttering? Since it has a low-res screen I'm afraid it will stutter playing HD video
    I don't think the MacBook Air will stutter when playing even 4K video. I don't have the Air, but I believe that the Air must have a process to auto downgrade the res of the video and play it without any stutter. I compare this to the iPhone 6s Plus which can record videos in 4K but play them in 1080p without any sort of issue.
    05-20-2016 03:22 PM
    Why would you want the Air over the MacBook?
    05-20-2016 08:14 PM
    Why would you want the Air over the MacBook?
    I was wondering the same thing. And why not the MacBook Pro? OP seems to think it isn't portable. My 13" MacBook Pro Retina is incredibly portable.
    05-20-2016 09:35 PM
    I was wondering the same thing. And why not the MacBook Pro? OP seems to think it isn't portable. My 13" MacBook Pro Retina is incredibly portable.
    Well the MacBook Air has the best battery life and more portable than the pro
    05-21-2016 02:54 AM
    Well the MacBook Air has the best battery life and more portable than the pro
    Very true. My point was that the Pro I still very portable even though it isn't quite as thin as the Air. Just like the Pro has really great battery life even though not quite as great as the Air.
    If portability and battery life are important to you, you'll be happy with any model of MacBook IMO.
    05-21-2016 06:47 AM
    Very true. My point was that the Pro I still very portable even though it isn't quite as thin as the Air. Just like the Pro has really great battery life even though not quite as great as the Air.
    If portability and battery life are important to you, you'll be happy with any model of MacBook IMO.
    I know but I'm kind of lost, the MacBook has great portability but 1 port and small screen, MacBook Air also has good portability and amazing battery life but bad screen, the pro has good screen, good battery life, but not as portable. I don't know I'm thinking of the pro even though I don't need all that horse power
    05-21-2016 07:10 AM
    I know but I'm kind of lost, the MacBook has great portability but 1 port and small screen, MacBook Air also has good portability and amazing battery life but bad screen, the pro has good screen, good battery life, but not as portable. I don't know I'm thinking of the pro even though I don't need all that horse power
    If it were me in your shoes I'd go with the Air. While it doesn't have a Retina display it's still really nice. I've been using a Retina display for about three years but I'm not at all unimpressed when I use an Air. The Air has multiple ports, it's thin as can be, it's powerful for its size, its battery life is awesome, and it's cheaper than the Pro.

Another option: Wait until after WWDC in June. I'm sure we'll see a product refresh and that may make some of your concerns completely moot.
    05-21-2016 07:18 AM
    If it were me in your shoes I'd go with the Air. While it doesn't have a Retina display it's still really nice. I've been using a Retina display for about three years but I'm not at all unimpressed when I use an Air. The Air has multiple ports, it's thin as can be, it's powerful for its size, its battery life is awesome, and it's cheaper than the Pro.

Another option: Wait until after WWDC in June. I'm sure we'll see a product refresh and that may make some of your concerns completely moot.
    Definitely wait for WWDC if you can. Wouldn't be surprised if the MacBook replaces the Air.
    05-21-2016 08:30 AM
    The screens are comparable... 12" retina screen vs 13" non-retina wins every time, IMO 10 hour (MacBook) vs 12 hour (13" Air) battery life is still pretty good, but both will vary depending on what you're using.

edit: see what WWDC does for the Pro in terms of portability
    05-21-2016 08:33 AM
    The screens are comparable... 12" retina screen vs 13" non-retina wins every time, IMO 10 hour (MacBook) vs 12 hour (13" Air) battery life is still pretty good, but both will vary depending on what you're using.

edit: see what WWDC does for the Pro in terms of portability
    You mean the pro could become even thinner?
    05-21-2016 11:42 AM
    You mean the pro could become even thinner?
    There is some talk about it getting closer to the form factor of the MacBook but the concern would be losing any ports. Unless they decide USB-C really is the future we are about a month away if you can wait!
    05-21-2016 07:56 PM
    There is some talk about it getting closer to the form factor of the MacBook but the concern would be losing any ports. Unless they decide USB-C really is the future we are about a month away if you can wait!
    I'm hoping for an improved battery life because if I can get that then there will be no point in buying the air
    05-21-2016 10:37 PM
    I'm hoping for an improved battery life because if I can get that then there will be no point in buying the air
    If you really need 12 hours then the MBA is probably your best bet. But wait a month if at all possible.
    05-22-2016 07:59 AM