Which MacBook should I get?

Malek Yamout

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I'm just a student in high school and I'm looking for a MacBook but each one has something negative which stops me from buying it. The MacBook Air has that low-res screen and bad speakers, the MacBook Pro is not that portable and the new MacBook has no USB port. But each one has something good which is really useful, the MacBook Air has superior battery life, the MacBook Pro has the Retina display and the new MacBook has a Retina display with really good speakers (which would be really helpful as I watch lots of YouTube videos) I mainly do that as well as office work so which one should I buy? The MacBook seems too gimmicky, the MacBook Air has that low-res screen, and the MacBook Pro can be a pain to lug around?

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
There are rumored new MBP next month so make your decision there. If I were you and the USB wasn't too big a deal, I would get the 2016 MacBook just released and a hub for USB.

Malek Yamout

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
There are rumored new MBP next month so make your decision there. If I were you and the USB wasn't too big a deal, I would get the 2016 MacBook just released and a hub for USB.

I have a question (which no one seems to answer), can the MacBook Air play full HD video 1080p-4K without stuttering? Since it has a low-res screen I'm afraid it will stutter playing HD video

Ariel Babalao

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I have a question (which no one seems to answer), can the MacBook Air play full HD video 1080p-4K without stuttering? Since it has a low-res screen I'm afraid it will stutter playing HD video

I don't think the MacBook Air will stutter when playing even 4K video. I don't have the Air, but I believe that the Air must have a process to auto downgrade the res of the video and play it without any stutter. I compare this to the iPhone 6s Plus which can record videos in 4K but play them in 1080p without any sort of issue.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Well the MacBook Air has the best battery life and more portable than the pro

Very true. My point was that the Pro I still very portable even though it isn't quite as thin as the Air. Just like the Pro has really great battery life even though not quite as great as the Air.
If portability and battery life are important to you, you'll be happy with any model of MacBook IMO.

Malek Yamout

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Very true. My point was that the Pro I still very portable even though it isn't quite as thin as the Air. Just like the Pro has really great battery life even though not quite as great as the Air.
If portability and battery life are important to you, you'll be happy with any model of MacBook IMO.

I know but I'm kind of lost, the MacBook has great portability but 1 port and small screen, MacBook Air also has good portability and amazing battery life but bad screen, the pro has good screen, good battery life, but not as portable. I don't know I'm thinking of the pro even though I don't need all that horse power

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I know but I'm kind of lost, the MacBook has great portability but 1 port and small screen, MacBook Air also has good portability and amazing battery life but bad screen, the pro has good screen, good battery life, but not as portable. I don't know I'm thinking of the pro even though I don't need all that horse power

If it were me in your shoes I'd go with the Air. While it doesn't have a Retina display it's still really nice. I've been using a Retina display for about three years but I'm not at all unimpressed when I use an Air. The Air has multiple ports, it's thin as can be, it's powerful for its size, its battery life is awesome, and it's cheaper than the Pro.

Another option: Wait until after WWDC in June. I'm sure we'll see a product refresh and that may make some of your concerns completely moot.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
If it were me in your shoes I'd go with the Air. While it doesn't have a Retina display it's still really nice. I've been using a Retina display for about three years but I'm not at all unimpressed when I use an Air. The Air has multiple ports, it's thin as can be, it's powerful for its size, its battery life is awesome, and it's cheaper than the Pro.

Another option: Wait until after WWDC in June. I'm sure we'll see a product refresh and that may make some of your concerns completely moot.
Definitely wait for WWDC if you can. Wouldn't be surprised if the MacBook replaces the Air.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

The screens are comparable... 12" retina screen vs 13" non-retina wins every time, IMO :) 10 hour (MacBook) vs 12 hour (13" Air) battery life is still pretty good, but both will vary depending on what you're using.

edit: see what WWDC does for the Pro in terms of portability :)

Malek Yamout

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
The screens are comparable... 12" retina screen vs 13" non-retina wins every time, IMO :) 10 hour (MacBook) vs 12 hour (13" Air) battery life is still pretty good, but both will vary depending on what you're using.

edit: see what WWDC does for the Pro in terms of portability :)

You mean the pro could become even thinner?

Malek Yamout

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
There is some talk about it getting closer to the form factor of the MacBook but the concern would be losing any ports. Unless they decide USB-C really is the future :) we are about a month away if you can wait!

I'm hoping for an improved battery life because if I can get that then there will be no point in buying the air

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2