Can we reset play count in iTunes 12.4??

xtinktor

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm in the habit of resetting my song play counts at the end of the day because if I don't, when I'm listening to my music on my phone on shuffle (around 1,000 songs), the same tracks replay.

Since updating iTunes the other day, I can't find that option anywhere.

Am I missing something? Or did Apple get rid of that feature?

bbarker1984

May 19, 2016
Visit site
Open up Script Editor if you have a Mac and paste the following. I found it on a website, and it did the job. Make sure you have iTunes open and files you want to reset selected.

tell application “iTunes”
set sel to selection
if sel is {} then return — nothing selected
repeat with thisTrack in sel
— use try blocks to fail gracefully if problem
try
set thisTrack’s played count to 0
end try
try
set thisTrack’s played date to missing value
end try
end repeat
end tell

http://dougscripts.com/itunes/2016/05/reset-plays-mia/

anon(7901790)

Dec 24, 2015
Visit site
Open up Script Editor if you have a Mac and paste the following. I found it on a website, and it did the job. Make sure you have iTunes open and files you want to reset selected.

tell application ?iTunes?
set sel to selection
if sel is {} then return ? nothing selected
repeat with thisTrack in sel
? use try blocks to fail gracefully if problem
try
set thisTrack?s played count to 0
end try
try
set thisTrack?s played date to missing value
end try
end repeat
end tell

Reset Plays MIA ? Doug's AppleScripts for iTunes

How about us Windows users? I don't want to reset every song, just the ones I don't want in my smart playlist sorted by plays.

anon(7901790)

Dec 24, 2015
Visit site
I'm in the habit of resetting my song play counts at the end of the day because if I don't, when I'm listening to my music on my phone on shuffle (around 1,000 songs), the same tracks replay.

Since updating iTunes the other day, I can't find that option anywhere.

Am I missing something? Or did Apple get rid of that feature?

Evidently, Apple got rid of it. It is slowly taking away features that allow people to manage large local music collections to drive people towards Apple Music. In other words, Apple is saying, "We don't care if you bought it once already. We want you to buy it again."

https://discussions.apple.com/message/30223658?ac_cid=op123456

There is a link to a website that allows you to download various scripts, one is called, "Lastplayednever." That would work for you since you reset plays on all of your tracks daily.

anon(7901790)

Dec 24, 2015
Visit site
Here is some more clarifying info: This was from my discussion in Apple's forums.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/30224548?ac_cid=op123456

gernerttl
May 19, 2016 3:01 PM
in response to rsantiagojr
Thanks. So just to clarify, these are the steps I need to take:

1. Open iTunes
2. Select the tracks I want to reset plays to 0
3. Run script (just double click it correct?)
4. Synch with my iPhone/iPod

Is that the procedure?

Thanks again for your help.

This is the site for the script:

Scripts for iTunes for Windows

MJHooray

Jun 2, 2016
Visit site
There is another way, which is far easier if you just want to reset a few songs (but it may be a hassle if you're trying to reset a very large number, or even your whole library)

1. Select the songs you want to reset, right click and select 'Delete' -> 'Delete Song' -> 'Move to Trash'
2. Go to your Trash, find the files you just deleted and drag and drop them back into iTunes (You can also right click and select 'Put Back' or 'Open With iTunes'.
3. iTunes should now recognise them as new tracks that have never been played.

anon(7901790)

Dec 24, 2015
Visit site
There is another way, which is far easier if you just want to reset a few songs (but it may be a hassle if you're trying to reset a very large number, or even your whole library)

1. Select the songs you want to reset, right click and select 'Delete' -> 'Delete Song' -> 'Move to Trash'
2. Go to your Trash, find the files you just deleted and drag and drop them back into iTunes (You can also right click and select 'Put Back' or 'Open With iTunes'.
3. iTunes should now recognise them as new tracks that have never been played.

Thanks. But I used Windows. This only works on Macs.

Besides, Apple update iTunes and brought back the reset plays function. Evidently, there were a LOT of angry people for Apple to respond like that. Normally, they would just say, "suck it up."

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234