For a 12 year old, which is better? iPod touch 6 or iPhone 5s?

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Does a preteen "need" a cellular plan? Probably not. Does anyone "need" a cellular plan? I could argue that we don't since we made it for a very long time without them.

Anyway, all I can do is give you my situation. My 11 year old has an old iPhone 4 right now that makes calls and does messaging fine. Anything else is a struggle due to the age of the phone. I am getting her a 5s and she will be thrilled until she can get another handed down phone from mom or dad. I like for her to have cellular ability because she is involved in after school activity and such.

Everyone has a different situation so you will have to decide if they "need" a cellular plan. I "want" my preteen to have a cellular plan, but she doesn't "need" to have it.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Depends what their after school schedule is like. My niece and nephew both got phones when they were 11 and 12 and most of their friends already had phones. It becomes convenient to be able to get ahold of them.

mvpilot172

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the same situation now with my 11 year old daughter, everyone seems to have phones in our neighborhood already. I was planning on getting her one for middle school in the fall and adding her to our TMobile plan. I'm having trouble finding a decent used 5s and while an android would be cheap we are invested in Apples ecosystem already and she has an iPad and knows iOS. I'm at the point of just going for a new SE for her, it'll likely be her phone for 3 years at least. Kids these days!