I am using Yosemite 10.10.5 on 15" 2013 macbook Pro retina display. iMovie 10.0.9. Does El Capitan improve importing, editing, and converting mov to mp4 and making and burning movies to Blue Ray disks for archiving home movies? And does it import direct from AVCHD FHS camera?
    04-29-2016 11:49 AM
    I am using Yosemite 10.10.5 on 15" 2013 macbook Pro retina display. iMovie 10.0.9.
    1. Does El Capitan improve importing, editing, and converting mov to mp4 and making and burning movies to Blue Ray disks for archiving home movies?

iMovie itself does not support any creating of Blu-ray and DVD. You would need a program such as Toast Titanium Pro with the Blu Ray plugin or Final Cut Pro X, plus a Blu Ray burner. Both of which can be expensive. As for improving iMovie in El Capitan, it will not. What will improve it would be a better processor, more RAM or a better video card in your computer. So basically, upgrades to your Mac is where you would see improvements. Any improvements in speed with the use of El Capitan would be negligible. You would not even notice it, as it would be minimal.

2. And does it import direct from AVCHD FHS camera?

If your recorded file is comfortable for iMovie, run iMovie, click File>Import.

If the file is not supported, you can take the file into the latest QuickTime Player and export as MOV, and copy the file to iMovie.

But if you file is 1080 50p or 60p, QuickTime and iMovie'11 won't support it. FCP X can natively edit it. You'd be better to convert AVCHD to AIC (iMovie's native format) and import to iMovie.
    04-29-2016 04:18 PM