So I sent my damaged iPhone back to Apple everything was scheduled and when the day of the delivery ups says it was damaged I got a replacement iPhone and apple said if they don't get it I will be billed full price ugh
    04-28-2016 02:21 PM
    If you have tracking info that proves the return was delivered to Apple - they'll have to eventually eat it. Document everything - provide it to Apple - and watch your credit card - dispute any charges for the device's non-return when you returned it.
    04-28-2016 02:33 PM
    You and/or Apple should be able to get tracking details for the packages (both directions) from UPS. Once UPS accepted the returning consignment they should be liable if it is not delivered to Apple.
    04-28-2016 02:37 PM
    Ugh, sorry to hear that. I'd def do what the two folks above me suggested and track it. UPS ought to help you sort this out without much hassle. Let us know how it goes!
    04-28-2016 03:00 PM
    04-28-2016 03:18 PM
    I contacted UPS they said they already contacted Apple about it and will keep them posted, I contacted Apple they said they will extend the return date to May 5 to give ups more time to investigate it and not charge me the until device is located
    04-28-2016 03:19 PM
    You and/or Apple should be able to get tracking details for the packages (both directions) from UPS. Once UPS accepted the returning consignment they should be liable if it is not delivered to Apple.
    The senior rep from Apple told me i am responsible until it gets to Apple? That didn't make sense it was up to me i would drive the hour to the city that it's being returned to
    04-28-2016 03:21 PM
    UPS should be liable. After all UPS automatically puts insurance on items.
    Last edited by Honey Beagle; 04-28-2016 at 11:29 PM.
    04-28-2016 04:23 PM
    UPS should be liable. After all UPS automatically puts insurance on iterms.
    So how would UPS know what's in their !
    04-28-2016 05:09 PM
    The senior rep from Apple told me i am responsible until it gets to Apple? That didn't make sense it was up to me i would drive the hour to the city that it's being returned to
    You are responsible for the device until it gets to Apple. So you need to be prepared to pay or settle with Apple. However, you should also file a claim with UPS to cover the cost.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    04-28-2016 05:56 PM
    So it went through 6 handling and scan events without comment after you delivered the package to UPS. That is pretty clear evidence that damage occurred and contents went missing sometime between 2:36am and 1:55 pm on 4/22 while in the custody of UPS. The interesting point might be who instructed (and who is paying) UPS to move the package - because that is the party with the best claim against the carrier. If Apple gave the instructions you might reasonably be able to assert that you delivered the package to their agent on 4/21, and liability passed at that moment. Read the fine print...
    04-28-2016 06:57 PM
    You are responsible for the device until it gets to Apple. So you need to be prepared to pay or settle with Apple. However, you should also file a claim with UPS to cover the cost.
    I spoke with Apple he said he will extend the return date and he said he will open a request for me not to be charged regardless
    04-28-2016 09:57 PM
    Actually, the responsibility should move to UPS once they took possession of the package.
    04-28-2016 10:32 PM
    So how would UPS know what's in their !
    Whenever an item is shipped using UPS then UPS automatically adds insurance. Also the sender has
    the option to add extra insurance.
    04-28-2016 11:31 PM
    Actually, the responsibility should move to UPS once they took possession of the package.
    Agreed
    04-28-2016 11:32 PM
    Whenever an item is shipped using UPS then UPS automatically adds insurance. Also the sender has
    the option to add extra insurance.
    That makes sense but how would they know a 1300$ iPhone 6s Plus is in their
    04-29-2016 02:48 AM
    You think those responsible for stealing high value content don't read the address labels? A returning phone is pretty easily identified.
    04-29-2016 05:30 PM
    That makes sense but how would they know a 1300$ iPhone 6s Plus is in their
    If you didn't declare the value, then UPS's liability is limited to $100. It would have been up to you to declare and and insure the excess value.
    dejanh likes this.
    04-29-2016 05:39 PM
    Did Apple supply the shipping label?
    04-30-2016 12:02 AM
    Whenever one sends items out you always let the person at the counter know the value so you can put the right amount of insurance on the item.
    04-30-2016 12:05 AM
    If you didn't declare the value, then UPS's liability is limited to $100. It would have been up to you to declare and and insure the excess value.
    To be pedantic about it, the only person with the right to assign a value to the consignment is the party who instructs and pays for the shipping. That was Apple, they made the contract with UPS and if they under declared the value it is their risk once *their* courier has accepted the consignment.
    Rob Phillips and dejanh like this.
    04-30-2016 06:50 AM
    To be pedantic about it, the only person with the right to assign a value to the consignment is the party who instructs and pays for the shipping. That was Apple, they made the contract with UPS and if they under declared the value it is their risk once *their* courier has accepted the consignment.
    Okay. I didn't see anything from the OP that indicated that Apple arranged the shipping. I missed that in the OP.
    04-30-2016 07:58 AM
    It will vary between manufacturers warranty providers and networks, and between territories but the most common system seems to be for the new (replacement) phone to be shipped out with a return shipping label in the box.
    04-30-2016 12:53 PM
    It will vary between manufacturers warranty providers and networks, and between territories but the most common system seems to be for the new (replacement) phone to be shipped out with a return shipping label in the box.
    Precisely. What you do find often though is manufacturers understating the value of the goods being returned to them in order to avoid potential duties or even to tweak the numbers on the books. Bottom line is, if Apple provided the return label, then they are responsible for making the claim with UPS and the OP has nothing to do with it. Otherwise, If OP created the shipment then he is responsible for making the claim with UPS and Apple is eligible to charge him for not returning the phone. If latter is the case, I hope OP declared what the item was and what was the value of it.
    04-30-2016 02:27 PM
    Bottom line is, if Apple provided the return label, then they are responsible for making the claim with UPS and the OP has nothing to do with it. Otherwise, If OP created the shipment then he is responsible for making the claim with UPS
    Correct, the right to claim goes with the contract for carriage - in fact it is probably part of the UPS terms. In most legal systems the only persons with the right to claim are the parties to the contract. In this case the contract is between UPS and either Apple or the OP depending who ordered the job, and third parties including the other of (Apple and OP) are likely to have no rights whatsoever.

What you do find often though is manufacturers understating the value of the goods being returned to them in order to avoid potential duties or even to tweak the numbers on the books.
    Now that would be fraud, or maybe false accounting. However, it could be argued that the value of a failed phone is its scrap and recycling value so $50 might be reasonable by this measure. However that also raises the argument that if Apple declared the value of the consignment as $n, then $n is all they can ethically - and probably legally - bill to the sender if by some anomaly they can't claim against UPS. They have freely declared that to be the value of the lost consignment so that is pretty strong evidence of their "loss".
    04-30-2016 06:01 PM
37 12