Ups lost my iphone

Branta

Retired Network Moderator
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
If you didn't declare the value, then UPS's liability is limited to $100. It would have been up to you to declare and and insure the excess value.
To be pedantic about it, the only person with the right to assign a value to the consignment is the party who instructs and pays for the shipping. That was Apple, they made the contract with UPS and if they under declared the value it is their risk once *their* courier has accepted the consignment.

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
To be pedantic about it, the only person with the right to assign a value to the consignment is the party who instructs and pays for the shipping. That was Apple, they made the contract with UPS and if they under declared the value it is their risk once *their* courier has accepted the consignment.

Okay. I didn't see anything from the OP that indicated that Apple arranged the shipping. I missed that in the OP.

Branta

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
It will vary between manufacturers warranty providers and networks, and between territories but the most common system seems to be for the new (replacement) phone to be shipped out with a return shipping label in the box.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
It will vary between manufacturers warranty providers and networks, and between territories but the most common system seems to be for the new (replacement) phone to be shipped out with a return shipping label in the box.
Precisely. What you do find often though is manufacturers understating the value of the goods being returned to them in order to avoid potential duties or even to tweak the numbers on the books. Bottom line is, if Apple provided the return label, then they are responsible for making the claim with UPS and the OP has nothing to do with it. Otherwise, If OP created the shipment then he is responsible for making the claim with UPS and Apple is eligible to charge him for not returning the phone. If latter is the case, I hope OP declared what the item was and what was the value of it.

Branta

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Bottom line is, if Apple provided the return label, then they are responsible for making the claim with UPS and the OP has nothing to do with it. Otherwise, If OP created the shipment then he is responsible for making the claim with UPS

Correct, the right to claim goes with the contract for carriage - in fact it is probably part of the UPS terms. In most legal systems the only persons with the right to claim are the parties to the contract. In this case the contract is between UPS and either Apple or the OP depending who ordered the job, and third parties including the other of (Apple and OP) are likely to have no rights whatsoever.

What you do find often though is manufacturers understating the value of the goods being returned to them in order to avoid potential duties or even to tweak the numbers on the books.

Now that would be fraud, or maybe false accounting. However, it could be argued that the value of a failed phone is its scrap and recycling value so $50 might be reasonable by this measure. However that also raises the argument that if Apple declared the value of the consignment as $n, then $n is all they can ethically - and probably legally - bill to the sender if by some anomaly they can't claim against UPS. They have freely declared that to be the value of the lost consignment so that is pretty strong evidence of their "loss".

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Yeah they did
So **** the driver stole my iPhone
Profanity? Really? Even masked, it's not appropriate.

And the driver stole your phone? What? Your OP and the screenshots you posted indicate that the package was damaged not stolen. Big, big leap to get to that conclusion.

jaleelhamid

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Apple did extend my return to May 5th so i am going to wait until then and call the same rep I spoke to he gave his name and extension

mayconvert

May 7, 2013
Visit site
report the credit card stolen. no charges can be placed on a stolen CC.
They will send you a new one in the mail. Then fight UPS / Apple.

Branta

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
report the credit card stolen. no charges can be placed on a stolen CC.
They will send you a new one in the mail. Then fight UPS / Apple.

Not a great idea, that would bring any negotiation to a sudden stop. Apple doesn't take prisoners, the charge is probably already pre-authorized before reported loss and the card-issuer would carry the preauth through to the new card. The other possible result is an adverse credit rating. It would also look bad if the disputed claim escalates to a legal case.

Once again, READ THE T&C, READ THE SMALL PRINT before making any hasty actions. So far the OP has done it right, the case has been raised with Apple and Apple has put it on hold pending investigation.

jaleelhamid

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Anyone know what this means

ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1462809858.118729.jpg

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR