I have been looking at ipad Air 16 gb. Is this a good choice?
    04-17-2016 05:53 PM
    If it were me, I'd get him or her an iPad Mini. It might arguably be easier to handle.
    bzeroh56 likes this.
    04-17-2016 06:10 PM
    Ipad mini 4
    bzeroh56 likes this.
    04-17-2016 06:27 PM
    I agree with the others. iPad Mini.
    bzeroh56 likes this.
    04-17-2016 06:51 PM
    I have been looking at ipad Air 16 gb. Is this a good choice?
    My 8yr old used an iPad 2 with an otterbox case on it and loved it so the air would be what I suggest. I'm gonna have to upgrade soon ( the 2 is too slow) so I'll be looking at the air.
    qbnkelt, YanivC and Annie_i6s like this.
    04-17-2016 06:59 PM
    None. I never had anything like an iPad when I was 8 years old and did fine without one.
    Ed Boland and steve_w_7 like this.
    04-17-2016 10:26 PM
    I'd recommend the iPad mini 2. The smaller form factor would be good for a child. The mini 2 still has a lot of life left in it and has come down in price.
    04-17-2016 10:32 PM
    None. I never had anything like an iPad when I was 8 years old and did fine without one.
    Times have changed.
    04-17-2016 10:36 PM
    My 8 year old would never get an iPad or anything else of the sort. Too much risk of it being ruined. Plus they need to be outside playing with other kids, not focused on tech.
    04-18-2016 12:53 AM
    Get him a second hand iPad Mini variant and then a heavy duty case for it for when he inevitably accidentally drops it.
    04-18-2016 04:21 AM
    My 8 year old would never get an iPad or anything else of the sort. Too much risk of it being ruined. Plus they need to be outside playing with other kids, not focused on tech.
    As a parent you have the right to make that decision. Do you let him watch TV? I'd rather my 6 year old be interacting with an educational iPad app (which is all he has on there, and we limit the time he can spend on it daily) than staring at the television. That's just me though.

Get him a second hand iPad Mini variant and then a heavy duty case for it for when he inevitably accidentally drops it.
    Exactly what we did. He has one of those super thick foam-type cases on it. Works great.
    04-18-2016 07:11 AM
    My grandfather never had a car in college. Yet I had one.

We're in 2016. Check the calendar.
    04-18-2016 08:47 AM
    My grandfather never had a car in college. Yet I had one.

We're in 2016. Check the calendar.
    My sentiments exactly.

I just realized two-year old recognizes every number from 0 to 9. We never taught him that. Then I remembered he's been messing around with a numbers app on his iPad (well, my old iPad that he has claimed as his own). Not to say it should replace being taught by his mother and I but we hadn't yet started working on number recognition with him.
    nikkisharif and qbnkelt like this.
    04-18-2016 08:52 AM
    I assume you have a rotary phone as well? I did growing up and did fine with it..... Please join this century. IPads are assigned at many schools today! They are a key educational tool. IPad 4 mini is perfect, unless you may buy a used older one and save some money and angst when the kid breaks it!
    04-18-2016 08:53 AM
    It might be a little low on storage. an 8 year old is on the cusp of becoming a preteen....aside rom educatioinal games, it might be a little restrictive once there is increased interestin music, favourite movies, TV shows, books, etc.
    Also, I'd go with the Air since it needs to grow with the child. I think for educational purposes, the larger model might be more suited.
    I'd go a bit larger, if it's possible.
    04-18-2016 08:55 AM
    A lot, if not most, school systems use tech.

http://www.ipadsinprimary.co.uk/
    http://www.theguardian.com/teacher-n...ary-curriculum
    http://www.computer.org/csdl/proceed...0/4525a078.pdf

Our society has made a familiarity with tech to be a needful thing. While kids need physical activity to remain fit and to burn of excess energy, I would rather they spend quiet time on educational games than watching some inane TV programme.
    Last edited by qbnkelt; 04-18-2016 at 09:52 AM.
    04-18-2016 09:06 AM

http://www.ipadsinprimary.co.uk/
    http://www.theguardian.com/teacher-n...ary-curriculum

Our society has made a familiarity with tech to be a needful thing. While kids need physical activity to remain fit and to burn of excess energy, I would rather they spend quiet time on educational games than watching some inane TV programme.
    It might be a little low on storage. an 8 year old is on the cusp of becoming a preteen....aside rom educatioinal games, it might be a little restrictive once there is increased interestin music, favourite movies, TV shows, books, etc.
    Also, I'd go with the Air since it needs to grow with the child. I think for educational purposes, the larger model might be more suited.
    I'd go a bit larger, if it's possible.
    Isn't this a bit contradictory?
    Last edited by dejanh; 04-18-2016 at 01:55 PM.
    04-18-2016 12:29 PM

Depends on how you look at it. Everyone is different, but I do not see it as contradictory.
    04-18-2016 05:33 PM
    Not in the least. I spoke of a child growing. It is natural that as a child goes into teens there is increased interest in media. Playtime with friends gives way to organised school team sports and also increased interest in music, films, TV shows.
    Which is why a larger storage would be better, to keep up with the developing child. An 8 year old won't consume media. A ten year old will begin.
    The inane TV programme I spoke of would be those Saturday morning kids shows. Those are useless.
    04-18-2016 10:32 PM
    Whichever you get I would for sure get a good case for it like the Otterbox someone mentioned as kids can be tough on devices.

iPad mini Cases - iMore Store
    04-19-2016 09:32 AM
    I say the iPad Mini would be perfect, although I know many kids that have a regular iPad. Find something used to save some cost.
    04-19-2016 09:50 AM
    My sentiments exactly.

I just realized two-year old recognizes every number from 0 to 9. We never taught him that. Then I remembered he's been messing around with a numbers app on his iPad (well, my old iPad that he has claimed as his own). Not to say it should replace being taught by his mother and I but we hadn't yet started working on number recognition with him.
    Two year old what?
    04-19-2016 08:04 PM
    Two year old what?

When looking at the sentences following the first, pretty sure he is referring to a human child.
    nikkisharif likes this.
    04-19-2016 08:10 PM

Ipads in primary
    iPads in the classroom: embedding technology in the primary curriculum | Teacher Network | The Guardian

I guess you make a good point there. Something like an otterbox case with a screen protector would go a long ways to keeping it working as well.
    parker5011 likes this.
    04-19-2016 11:18 PM
    Two year old what?
    My two year old hamster. He recognizes 0 through 9. He also speaks Portuguese.
    04-19-2016 11:26 PM
47 12