My beagle speaks beagle.
    04-19-2016 11:50 PM
    My kids both 7 and 4 both have iPad mini's, a 1 gen iPad and a Samsung Galaxy Tab.

I usually get the free iPads from AT&T from their promo deals and hand them over to them. It's really nice and they have learned a lot with the educational apps.

They are even better on road trips! A couple of them have LTE and they beat me installing TV's in my vehicles lol.
    04-19-2016 11:57 PM
    My 8 year old would never get an iPad or anything else of the sort. Too much risk of it being ruined. Plus they need to be outside playing with other kids, not focused on tech.
    "I know you asked a specific question but I'm gonna take this opportunity to blast anyone I can with my inconsequential ramblings...also I think I'll go yell at the kids in my neighborhood...young whipper-snappers."

Answer the question or move on.
    nikkisharif likes this.
    04-20-2016 12:13 AM
    "I know you asked a specific question but I'm gonna take this opportunity to blast anyone I can with my inconsequential ramblings...also I think I'll go yell at the kids in my neighborhood...young whipper-snappers."

Answer the question or move on.
    Pot, meet kettle. You didn't answer the question either but you took the time to ramble
    Sherry_B likes this.
    04-20-2016 12:44 AM
    None, get him A Macbook or Windows laptop, encourage him to be a producer of things rather than a consumer, have him write the next app rather than just downloading it.
    dejanh likes this.
    04-20-2016 06:20 AM
    The cheapest iPad Mini.
    04-20-2016 07:59 AM
    None, get him A Macbook or Windows laptop, encourage him to be a producer of things rather than a consumer, have him write the next app rather than just downloading it.
    This is the best post on here.
    04-20-2016 10:39 AM
    It's not so much which iPad it's what you do with it.

We are a household of 5 (2 adults and 3 children) and have a tradition of reading books together.

Before the iPad (2010) we would sit together and 1 person would read a page, or so, aloud -- then [randomly] select someone to read next -- showing him where to continue.. Each would ask for (or offer to) help as needed with: vocabulary, pronunciation, meaning, etc. -- and we'd all discuss it.

I bought an original iPad and we substituted it for the book. This was a very successful substitute as it added a new interest.

Later, when iPads were no longer back-ordered, we bought iPads for each family member. Then family reading sessions really changed ... Each had his own copy of the iBook. As one person would read aloud, each of the others had to follow along reading to himself -- so that if called upon to read next, he could pick up immediately (knowing exactly where the other had ended). Also, anyone could pause/interrupt asking questions about a specific word or phrase.

It was amazing as the kids were in kind of a competition to outdo each other often asking to read next or saying that so-and-so was reading too much ..

You had to be there: seeing/hearing/watching an 11-year old reading the Iceworm Cocktail

You're only spoofin' me, old chap. You'll never swallow that."
"The hell I won't!" said Deacon White. "Hey! Bill, that fellows fine.
Fix up four ice-worm cocktails, and just put that wop in mine.
    04-20-2016 11:58 AM
    Agreed, and they weren't seeking approval. Just wondering opinions of which ipad would be best for their 8 year old. Not weather or not to get one.
    Ipad mini 3 or 4, in conjunction with a tough protective case.
    04-20-2016 12:08 PM
    I'd get your kid what I got my 6 year old (and loaded it with only colorful educational apps and no YouTube!).... an iPad Mini 4 with 64GB of memory for all those Pixar movies that can save a road trip or restaurant meal from potential disaster.
    Lefty724 likes this.
    04-20-2016 12:49 PM
    04-20-2016 12:58 PM
    My 9 year old daughter had an iPad Mimi and so did my 11 year old stepson. Both asked for iPad Air 2 64g for Christmas because they watch a lot of video so they now have those now and absolutely love them. Air also holds value better. By the way the 9 year old is a bit smaller than others her age.
    04-20-2016 03:46 PM
    I bought my 7 year old son a refurb iPad mini with a generic shock proof case. He takes pretty good care of it, since he knows that if it gets wrecked, there won't be a replacement.
    04-20-2016 09:49 PM
    We bought iPad Mini 2's for our sons. Whatever you get, just make sure it is in a durable case. And trust me, just because it's durable for you doesn't mean it's durable for an 8-year-old (speaking from experience here). Apple Care+ is something to consider if you get something new, even if you normally don't buy it for your devices.

My 11YO son smashed his iPad within 30 days of purchase . What I thought was a durable case was apparently not durable enough. Fortunately I bought the Apple Care+ for their iPads (I normally don't buy it, but I figured they were kids and had a much higher likelihood of needing it). After a long discussion about taking care of things that are given to them and a trip to the Apple Store to pay the deductible and swap it out, we haven't had a recurrence fortunately.
    04-20-2016 11:44 PM
    Yes, we bought our 8 year old daughter an Air 64gb last year and the educational apps have been great! We went for more memory, so she can load some movies on it to watch while traveling in the car. She is working on her multiplication tables and loves the cursive writing apps. We put hers in one of the thick foam type cases with the handle and she takes it everywhere. It has been a good tool for teaching her how to care for something of value and it's helping her with math, reading, spelling, and writing. We just had a parent/teacher conference and she is doing 3rd grade work in her 2nd grade class. Her teacher was very excited about her progress.
    Last edited by Techdude2000; 04-21-2016 at 08:00 AM.
    Sherry_B likes this.
    04-21-2016 07:43 AM
    Ive got a 7 and 5 year old and both are on Mini 2 with Afranker (Amazon.com: Afranker Ipad Mini/Mini 2 Shockproof Case Light Weight Kids Case Super Protection Cover Handle Stand Case for Kids Children for Apple Ipad Mini/Mini 2 Red: Cell Phones & Accessories) mini shockproof case and both of them love them.
    Its actually worked out really well because theyve learned to "work" for their toys. Every week if they do their chores and homework and listen to mommy and daddy, they get an allowance of $3 which translates into 1 game each. The 7 year old has learned that if she saves for a few weeks she can get a "better" game
    04-21-2016 08:23 AM
    Ive got a 7 and 5 year old and both are on Mini 2 with Afranker (Amazon.com: Afranker Ipad Mini/Mini 2 Shockproof Case Light Weight Kids Case Super Protection Cover Handle Stand Case for Kids Children for Apple Ipad Mini/Mini 2 Red: Cell Phones & Accessories) mini shockproof case and both of them love them.
    Its actually worked out really well because theyve learned to "work" for their toys. Every week if they do their chores and homework and listen to mommy and daddy, they get an allowance of $3 which translates into 1 game each. The 7 year old has learned that if she saves for a few weeks she can get a "better" game

That case looks GREAT and perfect for the task at hand! Good life lesson learned by your older child as well! The power of saving!
    04-21-2016 09:19 AM
    My 8 year old started with the original iPad when she was 3. Then, her favourite movies stopped playing and she had to get the iPad 2 when she was 5. She dropped it in a pond while taking pictures of fishes and it stopped working, so I had to get her an iPad mini 3. This she used quite a bit in school as well and is very productive with it. She used to do lots of finger drawings in the Nickelodeon (Dora) game and now she creates great stories in Book Creator with drawings (using a generic stylus) with music embedded and all! So I am now seriously thinking of getting her the iPad Pro with the Apple Pencil after looking at Serenity's write up on the iPad Pro. This device has really brought out the creative side in my daughter.
    pkcable likes this.
    04-22-2016 06:37 AM
    Mini 2, 3, or 4.
    04-23-2016 03:37 PM
    That case looks GREAT and perfect for the task at hand! Good life lesson learned by your older child as well! The power of saving!
    That looks like it would be a good case, but the fact that it lacks screen protection bothers me. I would either have to add a separate screen protector or get a case with a cover that flips closed.

Ive used Spigen cases for a while now for my iPhone and have a good opinion of them.

http://www.amazon.com/Spigen%C2%AE-K...mUvbUpU2736805

That is for the Mini 4, but Im sure they make that same case for the other models as well. Again lacks a screen protector, but those can be purchased seperately.
    04-28-2016 01:30 PM
    That looks like it would be a good case, but the fact that it lacks screen protection bothers me. I would either have to add a separate screen protector or get a case with a cover that flips closed.

Ive used Spigen cases for a while now for my iPhone and have a good opinion of them.

http://www.amazon.com/Spigen%C2%AE-K...mUvbUpU2736808

That is for the Mini 4, but Im sure they make that same case for the other models as well. Again lacks a screen protector, but those can be purchased seperately.
    I really like that one too!
    04-28-2016 01:52 PM
    Pot, meet kettle. You didn't answer the question either but you took the time to ramble
    Actually I did on the first page. But nice try
    Sherry_B likes this.
    08-06-2017 10:41 PM
47 12