Becoming a beta tester?

gwhizkids

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Have had exactly zero problems with iOS betas. Some complain about lag and stutter, but those are incidentals. Now I will add that I won't touch the beta for a major launch (e.g., iOS 10 or whatever its going to be called) until its really, really well baked. But that may be the case on the public beta from the get-go.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I will b patient..! An see what happens will send another email if I get no response but I will give it a week!

Many app developers are on Twitter. I follow several. They usually tweet when they want beta testers. I missed a good one by Launcher. He was looking for testers last month.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Have had exactly zero problems with iOS betas. Some complain about lag and stutter, but those are incidentals. Now I will add that I won't touch the beta for a major launch (e.g., iOS 10 or whatever its going to be called) until its really, really well baked. But that may be the case on the public beta from the get-go.

In my experience, public betas are more release candidates than anything else. The majority of bugs, especially those that inhibit any function of the device, have been squashed through developer betas. My usual practice is to watch the forums for a bit after a new beta has been released to see how it's working for other users. From there I can make a good decision on whether or not I want to participate.

That being said, it's still a beta so a few glitches can be expected. For instance, one of the iOS betas (I forget exactly which one) temporarily broke Apple Watch notifications. Since I'm an Apple Watch owner I skipped that beta but then participated in the following beta once I confirmed the notification issue was resolved.