iPhone 6s BIG battery issue. Replace?

I

iMore Question

Hi.
Location service, Bluetooth, app refresh, iCloud is off. My battery drains 70% every night. Sometimes I look if i have sms and its 20%, then i look in 30sec again and its already 15%. Can't show you stats because in Battery settings there are "-" and it never shows different. I reset the phone, didn't help. Tried every method i could find in google, didn't help. Should i try to replace battery as last option? Any advice?
Ps. i don't have proof of buying papers, so going to apple store is probably useless.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If I had to guess, I'd say you have a rogue app. Probably one that hasn't been updated in a while. Check your app/game versions and then delete any you suspect.

MooMooPrincess

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
That was an issue that was addressed in 9.3, if you aren't jailbroke/on 9.3 i would upgrade to see if that helps. If not i would just take it in

Kriss Pur

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
I'm OP. When i did reset i set up as new phone and didn't install any apps, don't have facebook and other known battery issue apps. Let alone games.
Battery stats showed up.
Battery left: 68%
Usage 57min
Standby 4hrs

I don't think that's good.
I want to JB that's why i stay on 9.2.1 if i would know for sure 9.3 fix my problem, then i would upgrade, but at the moment i decided not to.

PS: I just wanted to plug my phone in wall charger and saw small sparkle and now USB plug adapter is not working any more. My cable is bran new and is working very well. Maybe that has something to do with my problem. Maybe it was charging wrong lately or did something bad to battery?

I saw in Aliexpress battery for 20$, but it will take 8 week to arrive. :(

pss: English is not my native language so please understand grammar.

Last edited:

MooMooPrincess

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I'm OP. When i did reset i set up as new phone and didn't install any apps, don't have facebook and other known battery issue apps. Let alone games.
Battery stats showed up.
Battery left: 68%
Usage 57min
Standby 4hrs

I don't think that's good.
I want to JB that's why i stay on 9.2.1 if i would know for sure 9.3 fix my problem, then i would upgrade, but at the moment i decided not to.

PS: I just wanted to plug my phone in wall charger and saw small sparkle and now USB plug adapter is not working any more. My cable is bran new and is working very well. Maybe that has something to do with my problem. Maybe it was charging wrong lately or did something bad to battery?

Just take it back it an apple store it needs a new battery it sounds. Or wear a battery case for forever.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site

The 6s should still be under warranty, so take everything back to your local Apple store along with proof of purchase and they'll either install a new battery for free or give you a new phone.

Installing a battery yourself will void your warranty. And, if you accidentally break your phone then there is no way to replace it. Take it to an authorized Apple store.

That's OK. We'll keep trying to help. :)

Kriss Pur

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for all your reply's.
I don't have proof of purchase and my closest Apple store is far far away. So no warranty.
I don't mind opening and replacing battery, just before i do so wanted to know other people opinion will most likely replacing battery fix this or its 95% software issue not hardware..

I just fully charged phone and have already 90% battery left (usage 14min, standby 50min). After i fully charge my just erased and wiped to factory i just opened safari to check one link and that eat 10%. That cant be right..

MooMooPrincess

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for all your reply's.
I don't have proof of purchase and my closest Apple store is far far away. So no warranty.
I don't mind opening and replacing battery, just before i do so wanted to know other people opinion will most likely replacing battery fix this or its 95% software issue not hardware..

I just fully charged phone and have already 90% battery left (usage 14min, standby 50min). After i fully charge my just erased and wiped to factory i just opened safari to check one link and that eat 10%. That cant be right..

You can always send it in to an apple store, as long as you have the email you used/account information you'll be ok. If you bought a 6s you will still automatically be under the 1 year manufacturer warranty.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
You won't know if it's an OS issue unless you upgrade to 9.3 and run it for a few days as stock. I recommend trying that before purchasing a new battery.

Kriss Pur

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
ok, i am 90% sure ios 9.3 wont fix it but i will update just to make sure. as MooMooPrincess wrote while they are signing older version i can downgrade.

ps: battery now is at 80% and Usage time is 17min :)

Kriss Pur

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
Yesterday i updated to 9.3. Clean install, no backup, didn't even open AppStore. Went to bed with fully charged phone. Used safari for 20min and before put it on table turned off everything (wi-fi, Data, BT, Location, background apps (there was only safari and setting, etc.). Woke up and my battery is 10% and draining 1% almost every minute as I'm typing now.
Battery stats: Usage 30min; Standby 10h, 40min.

Thats maybe 10% of what 6s battery should hold so something is defiantly wrong. If changing firmware does not help then its hardware issue, right? Would you all recommend changing battery (problem that it will take 8 week to arrive from china) or just get rid of this phone somehow and buy another one (in this scenario i loose a lot of money) or before i do that try to be patient (trust me it not easy when you leave house with 90% and after few calls, sms its nearly empty) and do that battery swap scenario?!

Also i noticed that it take me only about 1 hour to fully change my phone from 10%. Is that ok or should take more time.

Last edited:

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
It sounds like a hardware issue. The 6s is still under warranty so have apple replace it for you. This shouldn't be happening.

Kriss Pur

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
When i got phone it was used, so no papers. Apple support is not an option in my situation. I just ordered battery, I'll let you all know did the battery fix my problem. Maybe someone else is/will be in this situation and that can help. I just hope battery will fix my problem because at the moment phone is useless. :)

MooMooPrincess

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
When i got phone it was used, so no papers. Apple support is not an option in my situation. I just ordered battery, I'll let you all know did the battery fix my problem. Maybe someone else is/will be in this situation and that can help. I just hope battery will fix my problem because at the moment phone is useless. :)

You could take it to a repair shop. But good luck

Kriss Pur

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
Thanks. I have change screens and batteries before on different phones. From YouTube it looks like iphone 6/6s is pretty easy to open. I manage to find battery in Germany, it should arrive in 10 days max., cant wait to try this method and hopefully put an end to this problem.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Thanks. I have change screens and batteries before on different phones. From YouTube it looks like iphone 6/6s is pretty easy to open. I manage to find battery in Germany, it should arrive in 10 days max., cant wait to try this method and hopefully put an end to this problem.

Good luck! We'll keep our fingers crossed for you. :)

Let us know how it went?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Might not be the battery. It could just be the % indicator not showing properly. You can take this test to see if the battery has an issue.

Write down your usage and standby time, press the sleep/wake button (or lock button, as some call it) to put the device to sleep, and set the device down for five minutes. When you come back, take note of the change in time. If your device is sleeping properly, then the Standby time should have increased by five minutes and your Usage time by

If your Usage time rises by more than one minute, you have a drain problem. Something is keeping your device from sleeping properly, significantly shortening the time it will last.

Kriss Pur

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
I think it is battery issue. Here's why. I just bought new original wall charger (before I charged my phone thru PC(usb) and my phone is charging +10% every 7min, that's def. not normal :D
I remember that old Nokia phones did that simptoms when had old/bad battery, but I don't know how it is with these Li-on battery. I have Makita power drill with Li-on battery and it takes less and less time to fully charge every year as battery gets older, so maybe these new type of batteries are the same.

I'll definitely let you all know if replacing battery helped.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR