I'm trying to move from a Galaxy S6 to an iPhone6 while keeping an unlimited data plan from AT&T. I tried simply swapping the SIM and the phone works fine but there's no data enabled.

I used the AT&T website to request for the phone to be unlocked; but upon doing so, manually configuring the APN still isn't an option. I've ready that iOS9 has removed the menu, although I've also ready that it's carrier-specific whether the menu is hidden or not.

After some digging, I found references to a website (unlockit.co.nz/unlockit/) that can send pre-configured apn mobile configuration files directly to my phone, and they do have an option for the one I'd like (wap.cingular). However, I'm not sure if this site (or service) is "safe", and I would like some opinions before applying the configuration file to my phone. This would be done on my home wifi, not a public one. Thanks for your help!
    03-21-2016 01:44 AM
    Hi,

I wouldn't generally feel safe trusting a non-authorized party in modifying settings on my iPhone, but that'd ultimately be a decision you'd have to make for yourself.

As far as configuring APN Settings are concerned, you should be able to configure the data settings by going to Settings > Mobile Data > Mobile Data Network. Under this screen you can configure the Mobile Data, MMS, and Personal Hotspot settings. If you can't see the Mobile Data Network option, then as Apple states: "If your carrier allows it..." indicating that it is upto your Carrier if they allow you to view the settings on it or not.

Perhaps try resetting and reconfiguring the iPhone and see if that automatically configures and enables data for you. I've never had to configure APN settings manually unless when I set up the phone, the SIM didn't have data enabled at the time.

Best Regards,
    Salman Khalid.
    03-21-2016 08:49 AM
    Welcome to iMore!

I would not recommend using those sites. If you're having issues getting the sim to work properly, contact your carrier. They may send you a new card.
    03-21-2016 09:10 AM
    Usually, when you put a sim card from another carrier in an unlocked iPhone, it pops up a message asking if you want to install the carrier settings. Which is basically the APN and some carrier specific settings menu/config.
    03-21-2016 05:23 PM