My budget does not currently allow my dream scenario: Imac 27" and a MacBook 15" for on the go workhorse capability. I need to limit myself to a MacBook. Been there with the Air 13" - need more horsepower. I mainly write but I am starting a business which may involve some LIGHT video editing so I am interested in the Pro line. Eventually I will invest in an iMac but may be a couple years away so I need the most bang for my buck now. My gut tells me the 13" MacBook Retina will suffice but I am longing for a larger screen so talk me off the ledge please - Suggestions?
    02-24-2016 12:44 AM
    Welcome to iMore. I am not going to try and talk you out of the 13" rMBP. But what I am going to suggest is this. The new rMBP will more than suffice for your needs. Here comes the suggestion. Why not look at a refurbished one. The money you will save should be enough to permit you to buy an external monitor to attach your rMBP too. This will accommodate the additional screen real estate you are looking for. This way you now have everything you need to tide you over till you can afford that iMac.
    02-24-2016 01:40 AM
    I've been using a 13" rMBP for over a year now. The only thing lacking is real estate for serious photo and video editing.

It has become my repository for 100GB of Photo library ( because I don't have an iMac). But photo editing feels cramped.

Having said that, I like the portability and light weight compared to the 15".

I've bought most of my Apple products from BandH Photo. No sales tax outside NY, free shipping, and great deals on some previous year models. They also include Parallels for free with most but not all macs.
    02-24-2016 09:01 AM