What happened to all of my available storage space?

I

iMore Question

I went into settings>general>usage and it said that I had used 13.3GB and so I added up the app storage and it came to about 7GB so where has 5.3GB gone

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: Where has all my storage gone

Welcome to iMore! A little over 4GB is taken up by iOS. The rest is probably system files and other system cache. My iPhone 6s Plus, for example, shows 45.8 GM used and 67.8 GB available, which 14.4 GB short of my 128 GB total storage.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Email, messages, Notes, cache, a little of this and that. It adds up. Some may be what's known as "other". You can see "other" when plugged in to the computer. A restore deletes it.

comiken205

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site

As this "other" accumulates, how do you delete the cache and the "other" without restoring the device?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
As this "other" accumulates, how do you delete the cache and the "other" without restoring the device?

Some can be deleted using the app, Battery Doctor. Some app cache can be deleted by deleting the app, then reinstall it. Some, like Facebook, you can sign out of the app, then sign back in. That gets rid of cache.

Battery Doctor - Must-have Battery Management App by KS Mobile, Inc.
https://appsto.re/us/gRZTK.i

There would still be a good bit of "other". Then again, you may not have much "other".