Group messaging; not getting texts from iMessage users

I

iMore Question

Our family of 3 has a long history of group messaging. Recently two of us upgraded to iPhone 6s so now we all are using iOS 9 on iPhone 6 or 6s.

I don't use iMessage - my own choice - but the others do. Apple turned on iMessage by default so I sent two blue box messages before realizing that and then turned off iMessage. Now I can send to the group but I do not receive any replies sent to the group. I do receive messages that they send to me individually.

I have followed directions to deregister my number from the iMessage database but nothing changed. Did it twice a week ago.

I have seen a suggestion to "just" delete the conversation but I don't want to toss 6 years of history if there is another way.

So the question is whether you can have mixed Message / iMessage groups when all of the members are using iPhones. If so, how do I get rid of the taint of having used iMessage once?

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Our family of 3 has a long history of group messaging. Recently two of us upgraded to iPhone 6s so now we all are using iOS 9 on iPhone 6 or 6s.

I don't use iMessage - my own choice - but the others do. Apple turned on iMessage by default so I sent two blue box messages before realizing that and then turned off iMessage. Now I can send to the group but I do not receive any replies sent to the group. I do receive messages that they send to me individually.

I have followed directions to deregister my number from the iMessage database but nothing changed. Did it twice a week ago.

I have seen a suggestion to "just" delete the conversation but I don't want to toss 6 years of history if there is another way.

So the question is whether you can have mixed Message / iMessage groups when all of the members are using iPhones. If so, how do I get rid of the taint of having used iMessage once?

When another member of the group messages you direct does their phone default to imessage or text ?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Question: do messages directly to me alone come via text or iMessage.

Answer: text (green box on their phone).
Yes, you can have group messages when not all members have iMessage. I do it all of the time. The only recommendation I can make is deleting the conversation and seeing if that fixes the issue, which you've stated you don't want to do. Even you do decide to delete the conversation there's no way of guaranteeing that it will work.
What is your disdain for iMessage? IMHO it works great and adds extra features.

viewfly

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
In Settings/Messages make certain your friends have 'Send as Text Message' turned on.

If not, you will not get a message from them

applehead3

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Hi. I have two questions.

1. Are you logged into any other Apple device with the Apple ID? If so, then iMessage may be inadvertently enabled on the device and replies are going there.

2. Just out of curiosity are you able to receive their replies if you turn on iMessage again?

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro