Opinion on AirPort Extreme and modem combo.

dyllonsdabaum

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I have century link dsl and I have been using the rental 2 in 1 modem router technicolor c2000t. I'm trying to avoid using the rental since I already have an AirPort Extreme (latest model) and was considering on buying the netgear dm111psp modem it's 49.99 and should work with the AirPort Extreme just fine.

Now I don't know if it would be a better idea to purchase the netgear n600 dgnd3700 which is a modem and router in one and also dual band and sell my AirPort Extreme? but it's an n router not AC like my AirPort Extreme. Would I be benefiting from the AC router at all?

I currently live in an 800 sq ft. Apartment have

2 apple tvs
2 phones
2 laptops

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I doubt you'll have an issue with reception in your apartment unless your walls are made from cement so it boils down to data transfer speed. Your AirPort Extreme is going to be faster in this regard. Do you do a lot of transfers between devices (i.e. Backing up your Mac/PC to a network drive) or operate several devices at once? The AC will have an advantage over the N.
My opinion: Keep your AirPort Extreme and pick up the $50 DSL modem.

dyllonsdabaum

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Good point. I do back up regularly and I'm always streaming on my tv and there's usually a friend over so there's constantly more than one device being used at one time. So I'm still getting into this networking thing and I have been learning a lot but would the $50 dsl modem I'm about to buy need to be AC also for me to even benefit from my AC router?

dyllonsdabaum

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I also figured it'd be a better idea to just get the modem because I'm only 22 and still renting so if I move to an area where a cable internet connection is the only one available all I have to do is replace my cheap modem rather than another expensive 2 in 1 modem router.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods