Mini 4 compatibility?

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I've googled this but can't seem to find an answer.

Are they different models per carrier? If I go with an AT&T or T-Mobile Mini 4, then get it unlocked, Will it work with the other carrier?

I've got 2 SIM cards, one for AT&T through my guys plan, one with T-Mobile through my own plan. I want to have full data access with both.

I can't afford an unlocked right from Apple at this time, so what would you recommend?

Sent from my iPad Mini 3 using Tapatalk. ��

As far as I know, there is no difference.

I know that the LTE versions ship with an Apple SIM which can be activated on any (or most) carrier... but once it's activated, the SIM is locked to that carrier, but not the device.

I don't think the iPads have ever been locked to any carrier, unless you bought it at a discount from a carrier, in which case, it was (or could be) locked to that carrier.

You should be able to swap SIMs, and therefore, service providers, at will.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
As far as I know, there is no difference.

I know that the LTE versions ship with an Apple SIM which can be activated on any (or most) carrier... but once it's activated, the SIM is locked to that carrier, but not the device.

I don't think the iPads have ever been locked to any carrier, unless you bought it at a discount from a carrier, in which case, it was (or could be) locked to that carrier.

You should be able to swap SIMs, and therefore, service providers, at will.

So, say I got the T-Mobile version on EIP, it wouldn't be locked to T-Mobile? It's not discounted, I'm just making installments.

Would it come with an Apple SIM or t-mobile SIM?

Thank you for the help Hank. This is my first time not buying an iPad through the Apple store and paying upfront retail price.

Sent from my iPad Mini 3 using Tapatalk. 🖖

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
So, say I got the T-Mobile version on EIP, it wouldn't be locked to T-Mobile? It's not discounted, I'm just making installments.

Would it come with an Apple SIM or t-mobile SIM?

Thank you for the help Hank. This is my first time not buying an iPad through the Apple store and paying upfront retail price.

Sent from my iPad Mini 3 using Tapatalk. ��

I don't have any experience with T-Mobile... with the lone exception of the iPhone 5S that I got at Best Buy, I've always bought my iPhones and iPads through Apple, so my comments are my best guess. :D

It's very possible that since you are making payments that there is some sort of contract, and that may or may not be locked. It's also possible that T-Mobile will put you on the honor system and then blacklist your device if you go astray.

As far as the SIM goes, I'd think that T-Mobile would put their own SIM in the device. The beauty of the Apple SIM is that it will work on multiple networks, but once it's activated with a carrier, the SIM itself is locked to that carrier. You should be able to switch carriers by getting an appropriate SIM.

Sorry that I can't be more definitive.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro