iPhone 6 lightning port defect

bchiong

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
Hi Guys,

Something is wrong with my iPhone - it normally charges on both sides when i plug-in any kind of lightning connector ( or thirty) but, it won't appear on any computer (mac or pc) it only charges the iPhone no prompt is displayed on the screen even on pc's device manager.

It only appeared once on a specific lightning cable but only on a specific side of it.. I tried a lot of different lightning cable but to no luck it does not recognize the data pins of the iPhone only the charging pins except the mentioned lightning cable that allows only a single side of it. What is wrong with my iPhone 6's lightning port? why so picky on cables?

bchiong

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
iMoreAppImg_20150925_232012.jpg This only happens on a specific lightning cable with only one specific side - all other cables I tried does not allow data only charging

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
May be a glitch. Tap something and move on.
Only use MFi Certified cables or Apple cables.
Make sure the port is clear of debris and dirt/dust. Use a blower.

bchiong

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
I only use original or MFI certified cables.

I have made all checks that i thought of doing.. i even cleaned the port using toothpick and folded paper.. i am certain that this has something to do with the hardware (lightning port) - does anyone can please tell me how the switching software mechanism of the lightning port - how does it change the pin use when plunged in on different orientations

i am thinking of maybe pin no. 6 (guess) is not working - because usb data connection doesn't work when plugged in on an upside down connection

bchiong

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
I tried to fix my apple lightning cable

Hi, I have fixed several lighting connector via use of soldering method. One time i decided to combine two original lightning cable to make then a long cable.. I seemed to have soldered the wrong cable color - the instant reaction on my iPhone6 when i connect the cable was it hanged then i disconnect the cable and force shutdown it by holding power and home button.

The problem now is - the iPhone6 started to accept only one side of lightning connector when you plug it in to use as usb - the charging is okay on both sides.

What can be broken? one side only is not functioning as sync connection

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Re: I tried to fix my apple lightning cable

Something inside the cable's lightning connector itself may be damaged.

bchiong

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
Re: I tried to fix my apple lightning cable

i have tried many lightning connectors but all have same response

bchiong

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
iPhone 6 will charge but won't connect with my computer

is there a chip onside my lightning port that is already broken? why is it only allowing charging on computer not data connection

i have checked and reinstalled all drivers in the computer - there is no prompt on the iPhone nor the computer.. i have tried many apple OEM cables

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: iPhone 6 will charge but won't connect with my computer

Try connecting it to a different computer. If it's detected then the problem may lie with your computer. If it's not connected then there may be an issue with the charging port on your iPhone. Make a Genius Bar appointment with the nearest Apple Store.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: iPhone 6 will charge but won't connect with my computer

By the way, please keep this conversation in the same thread you originally created.

mmshipon

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site
I've had a few connection errors until I cleaned both sides of the lightening connector with a simple pencil eraser.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

queasyill

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
I should blow out the port? Are you serious? The Lightning cable/port design is one of the great technological screwups of the 21st Century. I've spent $600 on a phone, and I'm supposed to gouge around in the port with a toothpick, cleaning out lint. I'm not usually litigious, but if there's a class action lawsuit out there, count me in.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi Guys,

Something is wrong with my iPhone - it normally charges on both sides when i plug-in any kind of lightning connector ( or thirty) but, it won't appear on any computer (mac or pc) it only charges the iPhone no prompt is displayed on the screen even on pc's device manager.

It only appeared once on a specific lightning cable but only on a specific side of it.. I tried a lot of different lightning cable but to no luck it does not recognize the data pins of the iPhone only the charging pins except the mentioned lightning cable that allows only a single side of it. What is wrong with my iPhone 6's lightning port? why so picky on cables?
Have you tried canned air or alcohol to clean the 9 pin part of connector and blow out the possible dirt in the female part of the connector on the phone.

bchiong

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
finally found an original  iPhone 6 spare part.. The first only that was installed after it broke was a "replacement part" only, it does not act normal, 1side of lightning port is not functioning on some moshi lightning cable and non apple ones.

RogMoore

Dec 8, 2015
Visit site
finally found an original  iPhone 6 spare part.. The first only that was installed after it broke was a "replacement part" only, it does not act normal, 1side of lightning port is not functioning on some moshi lightning cable and non apple ones.

Glad to know that your problem is solved.