Hi. I have an elderly father. He's at that point where he needs a way to get a hold of someone immediately if he falls down or has another emergency situation.

I would like to set up his iPhone as a kind of emergency response device. Is there a way -- through using Siri or some other method -- of setting up his iPhone so all he has to do is say "Help" (or another keyword) and it would dial someone on his emergency contact list and tell them that he is in trouble? Is there an app for this?

Ideally, he shouldn't need to dig his phone out of his pocket or need to press any buttons -- just a single keyword would be preferable. Does anyone know how this can be done?

Thanks in advance!

-Eric (the son)
    09-24-2015 05:40 PM
    Don't know of any apps that do what you want. You may want to search the App Store.

Using Siri could be difficult if the medical emergency inhibits the person from speaking.

You may want to check into devices that address these types of situations. Here's a link to some possibilities.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/nextaven...s-for-seniors/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    09-24-2015 05:56 PM
    Hi. I have an elderly father. He's at that point where he needs a way to get a hold of someone immediately if he falls down or has another emergency situation.

I would like to set up his iPhone as a kind of emergency response device. Is there a way -- through using Siri or some other method -- of setting up his iPhone so all he has to do is say "Help" (or another keyword) and it would dial someone on his emergency contact list and tell them that he is in trouble? Is there an app for this?

Ideally, he shouldn't need to dig his phone out of his pocket or need to press any buttons -- just a single keyword would be preferable. Does anyone know how this can be done?

Thanks in advance!

-Eric (the son)
    If you or your dad I should say has a IP 5S or later that had the latest software, You can w/o Siri being plugged in and locked, Can say "Hey Siri call 911. This is the only thing right off I can think of besides looking in the app store for "Emergency Apps"
    Good luck as this would be a great app or workaround and hope for young your dad you can figure it out.
    Last edited by Jaguarr40; 09-25-2015 at 05:01 PM.
    09-24-2015 06:31 PM
    Ever hear of devices/services like LifeAlert? Were I in your situation I'd be looking into one of those...
    09-24-2015 06:35 PM
    Ever hear of devices/services like LifeAlert? Were I in your situation I'd be looking into one of those...
    'Nuf said...
    09-24-2015 07:04 PM
    Yup got it for my parents which gives us peace of mind for all. Would recommend.
    09-24-2015 08:01 PM
    Thanks for the replies. Does "Hey Siri Call 911" work even if Siri isn't plugged in?

And we have thought of the LifeAlert type devices. But often there are instances where you don't necessarily want to call 911 and instigate all the hassle that entails -- the involvement of emergency services, the cost of an ambulance, etc... There are many times when he may just need to get the help of a family member, but not necessarily be at the point of needing emergency services. Of course, if he was having a heart-attack or something like that, then definitely we would want him to call 911, but if he simply felt disoriented or confused, or perhaps fell down and couldn't get back up and just needed a family member close by (me or my mom, sister, etc...) to come and help him, it would be nice if we could program his phone to quickly get a hold of us.

I guess, what I am talking about is that gap between a true life-threatening emergency and just needing someone to come and help him. Calling 911 is a big deal, potentially expensive and involves a lot of drama....

--eric
    09-25-2015 10:18 AM
    LifeAlert and similar services only call 911 by default if the person activating the system can't/doesn't respond... otherwise, they will converse with the user and call a pre-defined relative, friend, or neighbor to assist...
    09-25-2015 11:51 AM
    The  watch is another opinion as its hands free Siri and it's always on his wrist so he doesn't have to reach for it
    09-25-2015 12:39 PM
    Thanks for the replies. Does "Hey Siri Call 911" work even if Siri isn't plugged in?

And we have thought of the LifeAlert type devices. But often there are instances where you don't necessarily want to call 911 and instigate all the hassle that entails -- the involvement of emergency services, the cost of an ambulance, etc... There are many times when he may just need to get the help of a family member, but not necessarily be at the point of needing emergency services. Of course, if he was having a heart-attack or something like that, then definitely we would want him to call 911, but if he simply felt disoriented or confused, or perhaps fell down and couldn't get back up and just needed a family member close by (me or my mom, sister, etc...) to come and help him, it would be nice if we could program his phone to quickly get a hold of us.

I guess, what I am talking about is that gap between a true life-threatening emergency and just needing someone to come and help him. Calling 911 is a big deal, potentially expensive and involves a lot of drama....

--eric
    Eric I have an option for you Sir... Set up the phone contact called I.C.E. = In Case Of Emergency with a single name and number to call. He says to Siri with a 6S/6S+ Hey Siri call I.C.E. and end of story - The single name and number is called and if it is that person knows why!!
    Hope this can help you!!
    Last edited by Jaguarr40; 09-25-2015 at 05:02 PM.
    09-25-2015 12:55 PM
    LifeAlert and similar services only call 911 by default if the person activating the system can't/doesn't respond... otherwise, they will converse with the user and call a pre-defined relative, friend, or neighbor to assist...
    If this system which I have heard of works as you have just defined it, Then this would be worth it, If any doubts that the OP proposed in questions then I would be looking for an alternative.
    09-25-2015 01:00 PM
    Thanks again for the replies. My dad just got the new 6s (just arrived today) so the restriction of needing to be plugged into power or pressing the home button in order to talk to Siri shouldn't be a problem anymore (he gave me his old 5s). I hadn't realized they had changed this with the 6s until someone mentioned it, and then I looked it up on Apple's support site and it is indeed true.

LifeAlert is great, and I thought it always called emergency services immediately -- but it's also expensive, and I see this as mostly a way for him to call for help in emergency (but not life-threatening) situations.

It seems like there should be an app that would provide this sort of service: speak a command to Siri and it would try Contact1, contact2, contact3, etc.. until it connected with someone and then give them a message (in case he was unable to speak directly into the phone). An app idea for someone, maybe?

The removal of the restriction of the iPhone needing to be plugged into power to use voice-only commands on the iPhone makes this much less of a problem though -- so thanks to whoever mentioned it! I wonder why they didn't retro-actively remove that restriction from earlier models with the iOS 9 update as well? --eric
    09-25-2015 04:36 PM
    Thanks again for the replies. My dad just got the new 6s (just arrived today) so the restriction of needing to be plugged into power or pressing the home button in order to talk to Siri shouldn't be a problem anymore (he gave me his old 5s). I hadn't realized they had changed this with the 6s until someone mentioned it, and then I looked it up on Apple's support site and it is indeed true.

LifeAlert is great, and I thought it always called emergency services immediately -- but it's also expensive, and I see this as mostly a way for him to call for help in emergency (but not life-threatening) situations.

It seems like there should be an app that would provide this sort of service: speak a command to Siri and it would try Contact1, contact2, contact3, etc.. until it connected with someone and then give them a message (in case he was unable to speak directly into the phone). An app idea for someone, maybe?

The removal of the restriction of the iPhone needing to be plugged into power to use voice-only commands on the iPhone makes this much less of a problem though -- so thanks to whoever mentioned it! I wonder why they didn't retro-actively remove that restriction from earlier models with the iOS 9 update as well? --eric
    Eric Go back and look at the yellow highlighted posts and see where I told you about Siri, I was wrong with the model of phone and that was corrected but then again mentioned about setting up I.C.E. and he does not even have to speak,... "Hey Siri call ICE" person on the other end automatically knows it is an emergency from your dad. Glad it seems like you got a solution and hope it works anreven more, Congrats to your dad for the IP 6S.
    09-25-2015 04:55 PM