Recording(?) image - grey bar in text message reply field.

nurs4kids

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Thanks! That has worked for me for now. I've tried almost every solution here, except for turning off the raise to listen button. I hope that is a permanent fix!!

This irritates the hell out of me!! THIS is exactly why I always resist doing updates. I love IOS and have been with them for YEARS, but I swear the update bugs that are allowed to just continue month after month without a fix, are going to be what pushes me over to droid!!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Thanks! That has worked for me for now. I've tried almost every solution here, except for turning off the raise to listen button. I hope that is a permanent fix!!

This irritates the hell out of me!! THIS is exactly why I always resist doing updates. I love IOS and have been with them for YEARS, but I swear the update bugs that are allowed to just continue month after month without a fix, are going to be what pushes me over to droid!!

And Android phones don't have issues? Lol

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
The only simple fix. Truly below the Jobs standards, folks. What would Steve say????

Apple devices had bugs to iron out way before Steve Jobs was gone. I'm sure Apple is aware of the grey box issue and I'm sure it will remedied shortly. I can only imagine what goes through Tim Cook's mind thinking about how Jobs would react to certain things they've done, especially from a design standpoint. I'm sure there are many things Jobs would love about what Apple has done and some things he wouldn't be a fan of.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Everyone wants to harp on the negative, rather than the cool positive stuff we now enjoy with the iPhone. It's come a long way even since iOS 6. A lot of great new features that work flawlessly.

scuzzbuster

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
I'm sorry, this is one of the most insane "features" I've ever seen in iOS. I don't need a stinking time stamp IN MY MESSAGE BOX. I have been through hell with this since the update when it started. Makes no sense, adds nothing to the user experience. Christ. What a cluster-F***. Time stamp box. I can type behind the box and not see what I'm typing, but can't do ANYTHING to get rid of the box without closing out of iMessage. This is pretty close to something Microsoft would come up with.

And, I'm sorry, but I have NOT been having this box pop up since iOS 6. There is something that causes it to pop that has been added since. It's the ultimate BS feature. Why is it there, what does it do for the user, how do I get rid of it.

So is the answer don't run your fingers along the side of the phone or don't put your iPhone in your pocket? Sorry, that's just not Apple. At least not the Apple I've come to love over the last 20 years.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry, this is one of the most insane "features" I've ever seen in iOS. I don't need a stinking time stamp IN MY MESSAGE BOX. I have been through hell with this since the update when it started. Makes no sense, adds nothing to the user experience. Christ. What a cluster-F***. Time stamp box. I can type behind the box and not see what I'm typing, but can't do ANYTHING to get rid of the box without closing out of iMessage. This is pretty close to something Microsoft would come up with.

And, I'm sorry, but I have NOT been having this box pop up since iOS 6. There is something that causes it to pop that has been added since.

Welcome to iMore! Keep in mind the vast majority of users aren't experiencing this issue. Many, including myself, have utilized the time stamp feature as well. I'm sure the bug will be ironed out. In the meantime feel free to send feedback to Apple.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

And, I'm sorry, but I have NOT been having this box pop up since iOS 6. There is something that causes it to pop that has been added since. It's the ultimate BS feature. Why is it there, what does it do for the user, how do I get rid of it.

So is the answer don't run your fingers along the side of the phone or don't put your iPhone in your pocket? Sorry, that's just not Apple. At least not the Apple I've come to love over the last 20 years.

It's a known issue. Apple is aware of it. It's the audio text feature. It's activicated by pressing the mic on the right side of the text box. Swipe the messages app out of multitasking. That works.

scuzzbuster

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
Thanks. I've calmed down now. However, there is no mic icon on the right side of my text boxes. I still have to completely kill iMessage to get rid of it.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. I've calmed down now. However, there is no mic icon on the right side of my text boxes. I still have to completely kill iMessage to get rid of it.

Do you use the stock keyboard? If so, what iOS are you on? The mic was introduced in iOS 8.
The mic to the right side of the text box is the audio text mic. The mic at the bottom is the dictation mic.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446817043.124872.jpg

If you're on iOS 9.1, and don't see the mic, you may need to restore your phone with a fresh copy of iOS 9.1. Or wait for iOS 9.2 or whatever the next one is.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner