If you have an iPhone 6 there is an option to turn the "Raise to Listen" option. This can be found by going to Settings, then tapping on messages. It is all the way at the bottom. This will resolve the issue and prevent you from having to exit out of your messages each time or create a new one each time.
    cptainv and PashaMcAlister like this.
    09-30-2015 07:40 PM
    THANK YOU!!! I double clicked on the home button, and slid it away and then re-opened my messages and it was gone!!
    jencruby likes this.
    10-01-2015 09:08 AM
    Thank you so much. Didn't even think of doing that. I had been powering down each time to clear it. This update is annoying
    10-04-2015 11:44 AM
    That didn't work for me.
    10-04-2015 11:46 AM
    You rock, Sashbro! Works - no need to turn phone back off. Just close and reopen the app.
    10-04-2015 06:02 PM
    Double clikcking the home button and swiping the page up to close it was the best and most logical solution and it WORKS! Thanks
    jencruby likes this.
    10-06-2015 01:57 PM
    Ditto
    So annoying mine is doing same constantly putting the grey bar in my txt line can't seem to get rid of it no matter what I try in the end I've to delete the message to that person and start over ... And again as everyone says it's only started happening since the update ..
    10-07-2015 09:07 AM
    It's saying on here I posted this at 8.07 am ..Just posted now at 14.15 !
    Bit odd ..
    10-07-2015 09:16 AM
    Wow - great tip to swipe away the text screen and any others open to clear it. It worked!! Bravo!! (What the hell was that, anyway???)
    10-07-2015 12:47 PM
    Disable Raise to listen. in the message settings.
    PashaMcAlister likes this.
    10-10-2015 10:30 AM
    will somebody please tell me what the home button is#
    10-13-2015 04:19 PM
    can someone please tell me wjhere the home button is , thank you
    10-13-2015 04:24 PM
    I have the same problem, and it all started after the last update! At first there was a microphone on the right side and I could easily dismiss the stupid thing by holding it down and swiping up. Now it just shows the timer. I am going to restart my phone to reboot, and hopefully that fixes (temporarily) the problem. I agree that it is most annoying, and I too wish there was a way to permanently disable the feature until I wanted it!
    10-19-2015 11:47 AM
    Where you "wake up" your phone, to access your apps.
    10-19-2015 11:49 AM
    Just spoke with Apple for the 6th time and they told me to under "MESSAGES" to change under Audios Messages--Raise to Listen--turn that off. Worked like a charm.
    10-20-2015 08:09 PM
    Thanks! That has worked for me for now. I've tried almost every solution here, except for turning off the raise to listen button. I hope that is a permanent fix!!

This irritates the hell out of me!! THIS is exactly why I always resist doing updates. I love IOS and have been with them for YEARS, but I swear the update bugs that are allowed to just continue month after month without a fix, are going to be what pushes me over to droid!!
    10-24-2015 04:30 PM
    Thanks! That has worked for me for now. I've tried almost every solution here, except for turning off the raise to listen button. I hope that is a permanent fix!!

This irritates the hell out of me!! THIS is exactly why I always resist doing updates. I love IOS and have been with them for YEARS, but I swear the update bugs that are allowed to just continue month after month without a fix, are going to be what pushes me over to droid!!
    And Android phones don't have issues? Lol
    10-24-2015 07:07 PM
    I have the exact same problem, the mic literally is not there.
    10-25-2015 01:52 PM
    The only simple fix. Truly below the Jobs standards, folks. What would Steve say????
    10-25-2015 02:09 PM
    The only simple fix. Truly below the Jobs standards, folks. What would Steve say????
    Apple devices had bugs to iron out way before Steve Jobs was gone. I'm sure Apple is aware of the grey box issue and I'm sure it will remedied shortly. I can only imagine what goes through Tim Cook's mind thinking about how Jobs would react to certain things they've done, especially from a design standpoint. I'm sure there are many things Jobs would love about what Apple has done and some things he wouldn't be a fan of.
    Ledsteplin likes this.
    10-25-2015 02:15 PM
    Everyone wants to harp on the negative, rather than the cool positive stuff we now enjoy with the iPhone. It's come a long way even since iOS 6. A lot of great new features that work flawlessly.
    Rob Phillips likes this.
    10-25-2015 04:09 PM
    I'm sorry, this is one of the most insane "features" I've ever seen in iOS. I don't need a stinking time stamp IN MY MESSAGE BOX. I have been through hell with this since the update when it started. Makes no sense, adds nothing to the user experience. Christ. What a cluster-F***. Time stamp box. I can type behind the box and not see what I'm typing, but can't do ANYTHING to get rid of the box without closing out of iMessage. This is pretty close to something Microsoft would come up with.

And, I'm sorry, but I have NOT been having this box pop up since iOS 6. There is something that causes it to pop that has been added since. It's the ultimate BS feature. Why is it there, what does it do for the user, how do I get rid of it.

So is the answer don't run your fingers along the side of the phone or don't put your iPhone in your pocket? Sorry, that's just not Apple. At least not the Apple I've come to love over the last 20 years.
    11-05-2015 06:43 PM
    I'm sorry, this is one of the most insane "features" I've ever seen in iOS. I don't need a stinking time stamp IN MY MESSAGE BOX. I have been through hell with this since the update when it started. Makes no sense, adds nothing to the user experience. Christ. What a cluster-F***. Time stamp box. I can type behind the box and not see what I'm typing, but can't do ANYTHING to get rid of the box without closing out of iMessage. This is pretty close to something Microsoft would come up with.

And, I'm sorry, but I have NOT been having this box pop up since iOS 6. There is something that causes it to pop that has been added since.
    Welcome to iMore! Keep in mind the vast majority of users aren't experiencing this issue. Many, including myself, have utilized the time stamp feature as well. I'm sure the bug will be ironed out. In the meantime feel free to send feedback to Apple.
    11-05-2015 06:48 PM

And, I'm sorry, but I have NOT been having this box pop up since iOS 6. There is something that causes it to pop that has been added since. It's the ultimate BS feature. Why is it there, what does it do for the user, how do I get rid of it.

So is the answer don't run your fingers along the side of the phone or don't put your iPhone in your pocket? Sorry, that's just not Apple. At least not the Apple I've come to love over the last 20 years.
    It's a known issue. Apple is aware of it. It's the audio text feature. It's activicated by pressing the mic on the right side of the text box. Swipe the messages app out of multitasking. That works.
    11-05-2015 06:59 PM
    Thanks. I've calmed down now. However, there is no mic icon on the right side of my text boxes. I still have to completely kill iMessage to get rid of it.
    11-05-2015 07:04 PM
52 123