Which music format?

billybaldin

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I am coming back to iPhone after a couple of years because I just hate Android and the main thing I am having an issue with is music file formats. I have tried to do some research and I think I have a decent enough understanding of the differences. I need a little clarity if I can.
My question is sort of 3 parts. In a nutshell, I want to find out if I should go AIFF or ALAC. All my files are currently FLAC files and I use VLC to listen to them on my MAC.
I want to convert the Flac files to AIFF for my MAC but also need to use them on my iPhone.

Will the iPhone play the AIFF files with any sample rate or do I need to keep it low?
I am also trying to figure out if the Apple Match or Music is a viable solution. If I understand correctly the files will be converted to AAC on those services.

Sorry for the long windedness. I can hear the difference in quality (believe me, my wife nagged me about it until she finally wanted to test me. She was wrong.) and just want the best experience in listening on MAC and Phone without having to convert more than once.

Thank you
Billy

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
For good audio quality, the iPhone isn't going to cut it, period. However ALAC is the direct comparison to FLAC. FLAC stands for Free Lossless Audio Codec and ALAC is Apple Lossless Audio Codec. I don't even know if there is a way to prevent certain bit rates from playing so you should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

billybaldin

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. I decided just to go with ALAC. I don't have the phone yet but they sound good on the home stereo.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73