Hello,

I'm running out of disk space for my iTunes library. Its currently on a 6TB external hard drive and seems like HD's aren't getting much larger now. 8TB is out but seems almost experimental and not for typical use. I'm trying not to spend more money.

For a time last year I had iTunes running on my Mac Mini, but then also in Windows 7 using Parallels since Parallels shares a Mac HD easily with no fuss. I was able to hook another external HD to the Mac and use it for iTunes on Windows with my same iTunes account. When I tried to install Mavericks using Parallels and do this, it would not share the HD like it did for Windows 7.

I split Music and TV shows on the Mac in iTunes, and Movies onto the Windows 7 side in iTunes, which helped me get more disk space by using a second external hard drive for the same iTunes account. I know I could get a NAS but for a much higher expense.

I'm just wondering if there is a way to do what I did with Parallels but using a separate user account in Yosemite? If I used fast user switching, when I switch from one to the other, would iTunes on the one I switched from still keep active so that my Apple TV's can still access it? Or once I switch to one user, does the other user sleep?

I'm asking mainly since I don't want to have windows always running for security reasons. Its also a bit of a pain to add content to it.
    07-28-2015 08:12 PM
    All of your media files don't have to reside on the same drive... I've got my iTunes library split across 3 drives... Music on the internal drive...movies on one external and tv shows on a second external drive.
    07-28-2015 08:17 PM
    This is good news to me, but not sure how you did it? Are they all on the same account in iTunes? My needs are for streaming to my Apple Tv's so I want all the media from that one iTunes account to be available.
    07-31-2015 10:46 PM
    All under my AppleID... Originally moved files where I wanted them... Then went through the process in iTunes to locate the files after moving them...was painstaking, but once done...all was and still is well.
    08-01-2015 09:17 AM
    I read up about it last night and I guess the painstaking part was how apple no longer manages the other hard drives, so things have to be re-labeled I think. Only thing I couldn't find online was in Settings/Advanced how it just lets me change the location of my music but not add a second location. I'll keep searching though for answers. I have around 500GB left on the 6TB HD so I'm ok for now. I could just keep removing shows/movies I don't watch much and put them on a backup drive for safe keeping until I want to watch them again. That will help me free up space.

Eventually I will have to do what you described though. Or go back to how I was using Windows in Parallels running iTunes there. I would use it for my movies and it would show up on my Apple TV's still along with my Mac iTunes media. Just meant I was using more resources on my Mac all the time though. Wish I had a i7, but I have a i5 Mac Mini late 2012. I have a SSD in it though and 16GB of RAM so still runs ok.
    08-01-2015 11:15 AM
    I'm sorry to bother you again but I've been pulling my hair out tonight trying to move my iTunes media between two external hard drives. What you described I can't seem to figure out how to do it so I was wondering if you had any info on where to begin? I unchecked keep iTunes media folder organized and copy files to iTunes media folder when adding to library. Then tried to add the media which is all movies to iTunes but it won't add them, nothing happens.

Even for my iTunes media folder location under advanced preferences, I can't add more than one location. So I'm really stuck as to how to do what you said. Any help would be greatly appreciated on how to begin.

Update: I came across TuneSpan last night and have been trying it out. I saw on Twitter from the dev. its not fully ready for iTunes 12.2 it seems but so far working ok and I've been slowly moving my movies in small bundles at a time to the other new hard drive.

Then I can delete the files on the original iTunes hard drive. I see in the movies relocated in the get info for each movie, they still show in iTunes but point to the new second hard drive. If this works in the end I will be so happy since its a perfect solution and will let me add as many hard drives in the future I might need.
    Last edited by Coffee4ever; 08-02-2015 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Found a solution
    08-01-2015 11:52 PM