How do I silence the ringer on my 6 plus?

I

iMore Question

It's a straight forward question but more detail is needed?

devoted101

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
.. How do I silence the ringer on my 6 plus using ios 9 beta 4 *IF* the switch only toggles rotation lock? --short of downgrading, wiping the phone, or my fav sarcastic b.s. response: wait until ios 9 final is released..

i reckon no one has a noncheeky answer to this one (that hasn't been said above)

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Non cheeky answer? How does one buy an iPhone and not know how to activate silent mode? On Android I can see, because its software enabled. But the switch for the iPhone is on the bloody side of the thing.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
.. How do I silence the ringer on my 6 plus using ios 9 beta 4 *IF* the switch only toggles rotation lock? --short of downgrading, wiping the phone, or my fav sarcastic b.s. response: wait until ios 9 final is released..

i reckon no one has a noncheeky answer to this one (that hasn't been said above)
If the hardware switch is controlling rotation lock ala iPad then one solution should be to change that in settings so that it controls mute/unmute (sorry, my iPhone is in my purse so that's the best I can offer at the moment).

from the Elegance

Last edited:

devoted101

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
One bought his iPhone on Apple's website nearly a year ago. One has owned an iPhone since iPhone 3GS. I hope that answers one's question, even if it was not an answer to the original question.

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
And no one is willing to help you after you so elegantly asked? Stunned.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

devoted101

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I appreciate an actual answer BUT the switch DOES control rotation lock, and the option to change the switch back to mute is no longer found in Settings>General and has not been since iOS 9 beta 1 (we are now on beta 4). I have a feeling that by and large my original question was not read further than the first 3 words and the last 3 words. I bet I could say anything in the middle and it would go unread as I thought I made myself clear in the original post. Did you know that jesus of nazareth is a distant cousin of adolf hitler on their mothers' side. i just read the confirmation in the daily mail one stormy afternoon during a tornado in downtown tijuana. blah blah blag iPhone.

so i just can't figure out if it is even possible to switch it back. i am guessing it is not but i thought i would ask here just on the off chance i would get an actual answer (a la tadpoles) and not some bored troll thinking s/he is clever or funny by leaving a sophomoric response.

devoted101

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
i know, i think my original question was quite thorough, direct, and appropriate. It is so unusual that people will take the time to try and sound "funny" and leave a reply that has no worth therefore is a waste of time on the part of the replier (my guess is those folk have time to waste). I had the assumption that posting a question on a tech site would be a bit more serious in their posts and stay on topic without having to be reminded.

#NoTact

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
1. Plug iPhone into computer
2. Put in DFU Mode
3. Restore the device to iOS 8.4
4. Don't try to use 'beta' software on your primary device

Posting the same question 7 minutes apart doesn't get it answered any faster. And restoring is the only way if you no longer have that setting inside the settings app anymore.

devoted101

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
So let me get this right, you didn't read my full post before replying did you? I didn't think so as I've already address your answer. Thank you for the attempt but you should really read the full question before replying next time. Good effort though.
1. Plug iPhone into computer
2. Put in DFU Mode
3. Restore the device to iOS 8.4
4. Don't try to use 'beta' software on your primary device

Posting the same question 7 minutes apart doesn't get it answered any faster. And restoring is the only way if you no longer have that setting inside the settings app anymore.

devoted101

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I've always always used beta software on every iPhone since the 3GS. My father is a developer. It's more fun than jail breaking and legal. I don't mind inconveniences that it can cause sometimes. If I did, I wouldn't do it. I just wanted to know if there was a possibility within the parameters I set in the original question. If the answer is, "no, there isn't a way and I should know because I've tried," that would be great. I don't know how all the needless venom would assist anyone.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I've always always used beta software on every iPhone since the 3GS. My father is a developer. It's more fun than jail breaking and legal. I don't mind inconveniences that it can cause sometimes. If I did, I wouldn't do it. I just wanted to know if there was a possibility within the parameters I set in the original question. If the answer is, "no, there isn't a way and I should know because I've tried," that would be great. I don't know how all the needless venom would assist anyone.

Have you tried Reset All Settings?

devoted101

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
No I've not tried that despite it being so direct. Thank you. I'll try that from home and see what happens. Now I have to decide if the potential for iPhone noise is worth ditching all my settings and saved wifi passwords. Thank you very much for your answer.
Reset all Settings
Go to Settings >General >Reset >Reset All Settings

devoted101

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I have never used 8.4. Seems it has as many bugs as beta iOS 9. Despite battery drain, iOS 9 beta 1 has been the best out of the 4 for me

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I've noticed it myself in my brother's iPhone. Audiobooks leading the list of complaints.

I don't use audiobooks. Maybe it's the audiobooks and not the phone. I've had no issues at all. And I use a 23 month old iPhone 5. iOS 8.4 has been the best since iOS 6 as far as performance goes.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234