Location based reminders

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2014
Visit site
I'm having trouble getting Location Based Reminders to work using Siri. I spent ages going through all the location settings advice on here and on other forums but nothing worked until I tried myself changing Siri's language to US English (I'm in UK) and it worked flawlessly since. This is fine as a workaround but having Siri set to US is creating other problems like not recognising names or places here in the UK so I really need a proper fix?

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
I found a post dating back to 2012 which suggested I turn off reminder syncing on exchange accounts, of which i have 2 on my iPhone. After disabling reminders on them and leaving it to sync on my iCloud account only, it now works perfectly

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I found a post dating back to 2012 which suggested I turn off reminder syncing on exchange accounts, of which i have 2 on my iPhone. After disabling reminders on them and leaving it to sync on my iCloud account only, it now works perfectly

How does that tie in with location-based reminders?

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
When attempting to add a new location based reminder using Siri, I received an error message saying that the calendar I use does not support location based reminders, although my iCloud calendar has been set as the default. It seems that any exchange account with reminder syncing activated prevents location based reminders, even though the presence of a valid and qualifying iCloud calendar does. For some reason multiple reminder activated accounts, especially if one of them does not support location based reminders, such as an exchange account, prevents Siri from setting this up. You can of course do it manually, but defeats the purpose. Once I deactivated reminders on all my calendars except for iCloud, Siri was able to set up location based reminders without problem

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Correct I had to do the same thing, as Siri would tell me location was not turned on for reminders, over and over. ..

When attempting to add a new location based reminder using Siri, I received an error message saying that the calendar I use does not support location based reminders, although my iCloud calendar has been set as the default. It seems that any exchange account with reminder syncing activated prevents location based reminders, even though the presence of a valid and qualifying iCloud calendar does. For some reason multiple reminder activated accounts, especially if one of them does not support location based reminders, such as an exchange account, prevents Siri from setting this up. You can of course do it manually, but defeats the purpose. Once I deactivated reminders on all my calendars except for iCloud, Siri was able to set up location based reminders without problem

Marty Bishop

Jul 19, 2016
Visit site
?any exchange account with reminder syncing activated prevents location based reminders? [?] Once I deactivated reminders on all my calendars except for iCloud, Siri was able to set up location based reminders without problem

THANK YOU. This was making me crazy. My new iPhone apparently defaulted to accepting ALL syncing with my company's Exchange account when I activated it. I had turned that function off ages ago on my previous phone, and had forgotten all about it.

FWIW, I find that turning off ONLY Exchange reminder sync is enough to restore location syncing through Siri commands. I have a number of Gmail accounts and aliases running behind my own domain name, and they don't interfere with my location reminders. (Though my default calendar for location reminders is under my iCloud account.)

One click in my Exchange account settings brought Siri back from the dark side.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods