We had our first child just over 5 months ago. Everyone in my family has an iPhone, except for me. My mother created a shared photostream on the day he was born and everyone in the family has been posting photos/videos of his "cute" moments and "firsts". It works very well for them but it seems to be eating a TON of storage on all of the phones linked to that one shared photostream. I even removed all of the photos from the Camera roll on my mother and wife's phones and the storage is still being used...

How exactly does the photostream work? I know they are uploaded to iCloud, but why is it using so much space on the phones when being uploaded to the "cloud"?

Is there anyway to regain this space on the iPhones without losing the pictures?
    06-11-2015 08:37 PM
  2. Bigeric23 said: Best Answer

There is nothing in there that deals with the storage issue that I was asking about. I know how to do all of those things, I was asking for technical information of why the shared PhotoStream was taking up ~5GB on phones "subscribed" to it.
    My apologies. . . . When you said “How exactly does the photostream work?” I assumed you were new to using this feature.

If they are subscribed to a stream it’s going to consume space on their device. Also, sometimes I’ve had to restart an iPhone for the storage to display accurately.
    06-12-2015 08:12 AM
    There is nothing in there that deals with the storage issue that I was asking about. I know how to do all of those things, I was asking for technical information of why the shared PhotoStream was taking up ~5GB on phones "subscribed" to it.
    06-12-2015 08:25 AM
    My apologies. . . . When you said “How exactly does the photostream work?” I assumed you were new to using this feature.

If they are subscribed to a stream it’s going to consume space on their device. Also, sometimes I’ve had to restart an iPhone for the storage to display accurately.
    06-12-2015 09:00 AM
    PhotoStream photos may be stored on the cloud but they are also downloaded to each device. I don't think it downloads the full resolution to hate devices though.
    06-12-2015 09:07 AM