iCloud to iCloud Drive quick question

xderiwx

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
Hello everyone,

Just had a quick question regarding iCloud/iCloud Drive.

I recently turned on iCloud Drive so that I could sync my lists from the Clear app between my iPhone6 and Macbook Pro. Both are on the latest OS versions. On my iPhone I noticed that along with Clear, Safari was also switched to on in the iCloud Drive section when I switched on iCloud Drive.

Before this, Safari was syncing within the regular iCloud section of my iPhone/Mac.

I'm not sure if both iCloud and iCloud Drive sections actually need to have Safari switched on or if its just switched on in iCloud Drive because it was previously on in regular iCloud? Can anyone tell me what would happen with either both or only one of them on? Can I safely switch off Safari in iCloud Drive and just leave it switched on in the normal iCloud section like it was previously, but still have iCloud Drive activated so I can sync just the Clear app?

Thank you!!

Posted via the iMore App for Android

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If you disable Safari from the regular iCloud settings, your bookmarks, etc., will no longer "sync" to iCloud. If you enable the Safari in the regular iCloud settings, but disable it via the iCloud Drive settings, I do not know. When I tested it out, I couldn't see any changes nor did it affect the aforementioned bookmark sync.

xderiwx

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
If you disable Safari from the regular iCloud settings, your bookmarks, etc., will no longer "sync" to iCloud. If you enable the Safari in the regular iCloud settings, but disable it via the iCloud Drive settings, I do not know. When I tested it out, I couldn't see any changes nor did it affect the aforementioned bookmark sync.

Okay, thank you. I'll try it out with Safari sync on in regular iCloud and Safari sync off in iCloud Drive.

keyhole

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Hello! I had a similar question regarding iCloud Drive and Safari. Once I enabled iCloud Drive, I left the Safari box checked on in iCloud Drive and noticed an incredible rise in Safari battery % usage being shown in the Battery Usage area. I checked around and someone stated that they believed that by having Safari checked in iCloud Drive, the battery drained much quicker. So now I left my ICLOUD Backup Safari checked and unchecked the Safari option in iCloud Drive and I'm testing the battery drain now. It is too soon for me to tell if by unchecking Safari in iCloud Drive improves my battery life. It should also be noted that I began using the iCloud Drive feature around the exact same time that I updated OTA to 8.4.1 so I'm not sure where my terrible battery drain is coming from. I just noticed that Safari was using up to 70% of my battery per day without any Safari usage change. Also, I've had great battery life since 8.3 and I've updated every time without any battery issues until 8.4.1 and the initiation of iCloud Drive with Safari checked. One thing I also tested was that if you uncheck Safari in the regular iCould Backup on either your IOS on iPhone 6 and/or my Mac, the bookmarks will no longer sync (which is what I expected).

Here's my question for you! I'm wondering if you could test your phone by clicking on the Safari box in iCloud Drive for a couple days and see if you notice Safari utilizing a higher % than normal with no change in your Safari usage pattern. I know you may worry that if you do test this and find that your battery is worse, you may be concerned that you won't be able to recover your previous good battery usage before the test. I would completely understand you not wanting to risk the attempt but if you are the type who likes to check these things out, it would be interesting to know the effects. I will also post in upcoming days whether my battery usage improves by turning off Safari in iCloud Drive. Thank you!!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
@keyhole

I am currently running iOS 9 Dev Beta 5. I have iCloud Drive enabled and the toggle next to Safari is also enabled and has been for quite some time. Having said that, I'm not experiencing any rapid battery drain and a moment ago, my device showed that Safari was only using 1%. Hopefully, iOS 9 will fix the issue you're currently having.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2