Back to a lovely iPhone - Some questions

k3wkie

Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys,

I recently got a iPhone 6 and still playing around with it. Reading some stuff, installing apps and what not.

Anyways, i still have some questions i'm wondering about.

1) Settings > General > Background App Refresh: What exactly does that mean? Will i still get push notifications? Let's take WhatsApp as an example. When i disable the background refresh, i'm still able to get push notifiactions? Maybe my understanding is wrong here - A little heads up would be great.

2) Settings > Privacy: When i use "Facebook" for example here and disable it, what is happening here exactly? I mean, i still can use Facebook with my account, but would be nice to know what's happening there. Same goes with 3rd Party Apps for Photos. Let's take Facebook again. If i disable it - from what i understand i wont be able to upload photos, right?

3) Breaking the battery-life: Since my iPhone 6 is new i'm still playing around with it. So i'm plugging-in my USB now and then, sometimes at 40%, sometimes at 60% and so on. I'm coming from Android, there was something like "If you flashed a new ROM, you need like 2-3 full loading cycles to get the best out of the battery - Or at least, it settle in in these cycles", does it count for the iPhone aswell?

4) No real question, just in Love with my new Apple product :)

Thanks guys for helping me out.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,

I recently got a iPhone 6 and still playing around with it. Reading some stuff, installing apps and what not.

Anyways, i still have some questions i'm wondering about.

1) Settings > General > Background App Refresh: What exactly does that mean? Will i still get push notifications? Let's take WhatsApp as an example. When i disable the background refresh, i'm still able to get push notifiactions? Maybe my understanding is wrong here - A little heads up would be great.
You should still get push notifications.

2) Settings > Privacy: When i use "Facebook" for example here and disable it, what is happening here exactly? I mean, i still can use Facebook with my account, but would be nice to know what's happening there. Same goes with 3rd Party Apps for Photos. Let's take Facebook again. If i disable it - from what i understand i wont be able to upload photos, right?
It means You are preventing Facebook from knowing your current location and/or you are preventing certain apps from having access to your Facebook account.

3) Breaking the battery-life: Since my iPhone 6 is new i'm still playing around with it. So i'm plugging-in my USB now and then, sometimes at 40%, sometimes at 60% and so on. I'm coming from Android, there was something like "If you flashed a new ROM, you need like 2-3 full loading cycles to get the best out of the battery - Or at least, it settle in in these cycles", does it count for the iPhone aswell?
charging in the manner you are describing will not harm the battery.

4) No real question, just in Love with my new Apple product :)

Thanks guys for helping me out.

congratulations on getting your new iPhone 6, and have a great weekend...:)

k3wkie

Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
You should still get push notifications.

Sweet, thanks! Still would like to know what it does exactly, background refresh.. maybe i should use google :)

It means You are preventing Facebook from knowing your current location and/or you are preventing certain apps from having access to your Facebook account.
Ah okay, so it's basically deny location by the selected apps, got it!

charging in the manner you are describing will not harm the battery.

Thanks! Good to know!

congratulations on getting your new iPhone 6, and have a great weekend...:)

I will, definitely! So much to explore right now! Thanks for fast answers :)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Sweet, thanks! Still would like to know what it does exactly, background refresh.. maybe i should use google :)
That depends on the app. It could be retrieving ads and/or keeping your timeline updated.

Ah okay, so it's basically deny location by the selected apps, got it!
As I stated above, it also prevents access to the account.

Thanks! Good to know!

I will, definitely! So much to explore right now! Thanks for fast answers :)
You're very welcome.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I have background app refresh off for most things. Especially Facebook. I do have it on for my weather apps and 1Password.

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I have background app refresh off because I don't want any apps refreshing in my background, causing battery drain.

Usually keeps the app current for when you open it, as D said.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
You can also go to Settings ->Private >Location Services > scroll down to system services and turn all those off.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner