Is it possible to somehow clone my MacBook (applications, files, etc..) and run this on the new iMac?

I

iMore Question

Is it possible to somehow clone my MacBook (applications, files, etc..) and run this on the new iMac?

Hello, I have a MacBook Pro which I've had for over 3 years and I'm looking to buy a new retina-display iMac. I was wondering if it were possible to somehow clone my MacBook (applications, files, etc..) and run this on the new iMac? Kinda the way in which I did between iPad 1 and iPad Air?

Disturbed_Angel

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Re: Clone MacBook Pro to a new iMac?

I believe if the MacBook pro is fully updated for the OS, you should be able to use an external hard drive and create a Time Machine back up of the MacBook Pro, and then when setting up the iMac, it should ask you if you want to set up from Time Machine, or back up, etc (not sure of the exact language). You should then be able to use the MBP's backup to then set up the iMac.

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site

I believe if the MacBook pro is fully updated for the OS, you should be able to use an external hard drive and create a Time Machine back up of the MacBook Pro, and then when setting up the iMac, it should ask you if you want to set up from Time Machine, or back up, etc (not sure of the exact language). You should then be able to use the MBP's backup to then set up the iMac.

Great answer! I have done this several times with perfect results.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

You can clone the disk using an external disk and a utility like SuperDuper! or CarbonCopyClone.