Copy photos from Google+ to iCloud Photo Library, prevent duplicate uploads to Google+?

codemonkey85

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I recently started using iCloud Photo Library as a means for sharing photos with other iOS / Mac users. Up until recently I mostly used Google+ for this - I've been auto-uploading photos there for years. I'd like to copy my photos from Google+ into iCloud Photo Library, but I also don't wish to turn off auto-backup on Google+, because A) having a duplicate back-up is a good idea in my opinion, and B) Google+ provides auto-awesome and other cool features.

How can I copy my photos to iCloud but avoid duplicates in Google+ due to auto-backup?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Download your photos to your computer and then upload them to your iCloud Photo Library.

codemonkey85

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Right, that's how I can copy them over - but how can I do it while preventing duplicate uploads to Google+? See, if I just copy the photos to iCloud Photo Library, they'll sync to my phone (by design). I'm afraid that once they sync, Google Drive will see them and try to upload them all over again.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Right, that's how I can copy them over - but how can I do it while preventing duplicate uploads to Google+? See, if I just copy the photos to iCloud Photo Library, they'll sync to my phone (by design). I'm afraid that once they sync, Google Drive will see them and try to upload them all over again.

Then turn the Google Drive or Google+ upload off until you delete the photos from your camera roll.

codemonkey85

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
It's iCloud Photo Library... there is no camera roll. There's 'All Photos', and what would be the point of deleting them from there if I wanted them in iCloud in the first place?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm clearly not understanding something. I thought you wanted a way to copy photos from Google+ to your iCloud Photo Library and then prevent Google+ from uploading them again. As stated above by Ledsteplin, you disable the syncing of the photos by Google+. If the photos are NOT in your camera roll, how then would Google+ have access to the photos? Still, if it has access directly to your iCloud Photo Library, can you not disable that access?

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Just a thought: why don't you experiment with just a couple of photos until you have "your process" tested and working properly?

codemonkey85

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
As stated above by Ledsteplin, you disable the syncing of the photos by Google+.

But as I said, I don't want to permanently disable Google+ auto backup, because I want pictures I take now and going forward to be backed up there in addition to iCloud. I just don't want duplicates of pictures that currently exist.

Just a thought: why don't you experiment with just a couple of photos until you have "your process" tested and working properly?

That's a good idea - maybe this whole thing is a non-issue. I'll try it out and report my findings.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
But as I said, I don't want to permanently disable Google+ auto backup, because I want pictures I take now and going forward to be backed up there in addition to iCloud. I just don't want duplicates of pictures that currently exist.

That's a good idea - maybe this whole thing is a non-issue. I'll try it out and report my findings.

You sound as if you want to have continuous upload to both iCloud Photo Library and Google+. You'll most likely need to do one, turn it off, then upload to the other. Then delete from camera roll.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
You're making it more complicated than it is. You won't duplicate if you turn off the sync while the other is uploading. Then after you delete from the camera roll, turn Google+ back on and going forward you can do both simultaneously. I think. :)

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Copy photos from Google+ to iCloud Photo Library, prevent duplicate uploads t...

Why do you keep saying "Camera Roll"? There is no camera roll with iCloud Photo Library....
I don't use iCloud Photo Library. I just meant where your photos are coming from. You're uploading them from somewhere to get started. Most people who don't have iCloud Photo Library enabled keep their photos on the camera roll.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73