Can't restore iPhone

Paul Ellis1

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
Hi All,

Really hoping someone can help with this.

iPhone 6 currently running iOS 8.2.

Noticed phone was constantly searching for network earlier today so did all the normal stuff: checked sim in wife's iPhone, re booted phone, reset network settings but still didn't work. I also noticed that after removing sim, phone still said searching instead of "no sim" which it would normally say.

So I decided to do a factory reset (after doing an iCloud backup). After it reset, it wouldn't allow me to set it up again, kept saying try again later or connect to iTunes. I've connected to iTunes and it recognises my iPhone in recovery, gives an option to restore and update but fails every time saying that "iPhone could not be restored. An error occurred (11)"

I'm running the latest version of iTunes and was successful in restoring and updating my old 5c so pretty sure iTunes and lightning cable are ok.

iPhone just shows connect to iTunes screen and nothing else now. Unfortunately, my local Apple stores have no appointments for over a week so desperate for anybody's help.

Btw, iPhone wasn't, and has never been jail broken.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Put your iPhone in DFU mode and try to restore it again via iTunes. Make sure your computer is connected to the Internet and has a good internet connection. It wouldn't hurt to reboot your computer, cable/DSL modem and your Wi-Fi router/access point prior to starting this process.

Paul Ellis1

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
Hi, thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, the iPhone won't exit recovery mode. I've since tried on more computers and get the same error. Internet is fine, although I did try rebooting as you suggested with no luck.

Gonna pop into apple later (only 5 min away) and try my luck, has worked before.

Paul Ellis1

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
Hi All,

Quick update for anyone who experiences similar problems.

Took to apple today, who kindly looked at it although I didn't have appointment. Genius guy said he'd try to restore and update it and see how it went. He found me 5 min later and said that as it had failed for him, it was likely a hardware issue and gave me a replacement iPhone on the spot.

Amazes me how I've read reports from others claiming Apple Store don't provide good after care. Maybe it's a regional thing but that's the level of service I've always experienced and it's probably one of my top reasons for buying Apple products

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Hi All,

Quick update for anyone who experiences similar problems.

Took to apple today, who kindly looked at it although I didn't have appointment. Genius guy said he'd try to restore and update it and see how it went. He found me 5 min later and said that as it had failed for him, it was likely a hardware issue and gave me a replacement iPhone on the spot.

Amazes me how I've read reports from others claiming Apple Store don't provide good after care. Maybe it's a regional thing but that's the level of service I've always experienced and it's probably one of my top reasons for buying Apple products

That's strange, because all I hear is how great the Apple Store's service is. Who told you otherwise?

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

Paul Ellis1

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
That's strange, because all I hear is how great the Apple Store's service is. Who told you otherwise?

Read a few complaints both here at imore, and a few more over at android central.

I remember one person complaining how rude the staff were, calling them little more than children who didn't know what to do!

I've always disregarded these statements but they do unfortunately exist.

Like I said, I've only been to 3 different Apple stores near me and have always received excellent service. I might add though, I've always been polite and grateful to the staff for the help they offer. I have heard some rather arrogant, unpleasant customers while in there and can't vouch for the service they may have received

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for the update and I'm glad you were able to get a replacement iPhone. Enjoy...;)

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Read a few complaints both here at imore, and a few more over at android central.

I remember one person complaining how rude the staff were, calling them little more than children who didn't know what to do!

I've always disregarded these statements but they do unfortunately exist.

Like I said, I've only been to 3 different Apple stores near me and have always received excellent service. I might add though, I've always been polite and grateful to the staff for the help they offer. I have heard some rather arrogant, unpleasant customers while in there and can't vouch for the service they may have received

There's always a few negative people no matter where or what. I see negative app reviews of apps I think are great. I see bad reviews of products on Amazon I think are just fine. I see complaints about the customer service at Verizon, but I've always liked their service. Some people just like to complain.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nijolcreative