Is there a way to hide text messages from one certain contact?

I

iMore Question

is there a way to hide text messages from one certain contact?

I need an app on my phone that will NOT show up as an icon. I have one contact that I need to be completely hidden from my phone. I would like to be able to receive text messages from that contact without getting any type of notifications. Such as if I lay my phone down and this contact texts me, I will not know until. I look at the phone myself. I would like for the app to be camouflage in some sort of way that it just looks like a regular application.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: is there a way to hide text messages from one certain contact?

I am unaware of any such app.

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site

1. Don't "lay your phone down".
2. Turn notifications off for all text messages.
3. Use a "burner" phone.
4. Tell that contact not to text you on your phone.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Set up the contact and share it to your email account. Then hide it in a folder. Then delete from contacts.

Sent from my ancient iPhone 5 (no longer trustworthy)

Mac Techie

Mar 4, 2015
Visit site

Easy and no other parts
1. Enter the conversation
2. Hold on any message
3. Press More...
4. Select all messages to be deleted
5. That's all folks

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

I have a app called SMS secret. It encrypts the text. Both sender and recipient have to have the app.

You send the message in the app the recipient get the text in the Apple messages app but it's encrypted.
When they tap on the encrypted text it opens SMS Secret App which is password protected by drawing a pattern. Once the app is open you can read the text.
It's cool I guess for texting sensitive material. If a person can unlock your phone the can see that a encrypted text was received or sent but they can't open the SMS Secret App without the pattern password.
It was free when I got it a few days ago on sale.

SMS Secret For iOS 8 by Hai Dao Ngoc
https://appsto.re/us/dVqw2.i

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

That app ↑↑looks like your best bet! Then you can hide the app off in a folder with other unused apps like Newsstand. You could even nest the app deep in the folder.

Sent from my ancient iPhone 5 (no longer trustworthy)

anon8656116

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site

iEd?s suggestions could work, but you will still receive push notifications, only with gibberish (might raise suspicion, if you want to avoid that).

Alternatively, consider using an IM app. If you use it just with that contact, you can disable all notifications. Telegram would be a good option, it?s free. I happen to know that you can indefinitely silence certain contacts (you won?t receive any push notifications), you can lock the app down with a passcode or Touch ID and send encrypted chats than can expire after a certain time/when viewed. It?s also a fairly lightweight app that won?t use much space or energy. For secretive purposes probably one of the securer options.

anon8656116

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site

I just discovered a neat wee change in iOS 8.2. When you enable Do Not Disturb for a conversation in Messages (open the conversation > Details > Do Not Disturb), you won’t receive any visual or audible notifications for that thread anymore. So when you put your contact on DND, it would hide it from view and only show new messages when you actually open the Messages app.

Mac Techie

Mar 4, 2015
Visit site

I just discovered a neat wee change in iOS 8.2. When you enable Do Not Disturb for a conversation in Messages (open the conversation > Details > Do Not Disturb), you won?t receive any visual or audible notifications for that thread anymore. So when you put your contact on DND, it would hide it from view and only show new messages when you actually open the Messages app.

Yeah that has been out since 8.0!

Nicholas Klotz

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
So I've tried finding an app and I can't find one at all. Which is seriously ridiculous. There are a lot of these apps on android. (I seriously miss my my android phone and will be going back asap) So basically Apple sucks

tool123456789

Apr 11, 2016
Visit site
I found it!!!!. Stop cheating on your significant other... If your a teenager get off your parents phone plan get a job and pay for one yourself Then you will have nothing to hide!!

Florida Snoecat

Jul 6, 2016
Visit site
Thank you Tool it never amazes me anymore the lengths people go to cheat if you have to hide something from the person you are with you should not be with them. I am battling with that now in feel he is hiding something from me and it kills me inside to think I am not what he wants I was looking up a slot game he plays because the notification pops up at random times and when searching it hurts my heart to soo all the apps cheaters cam use to hurt other people if you are not vested why be with them !!

moenonnie

Jul 31, 2016
Visit site

I need an app on my phone that will NOT show up as an icon. I have one contact that I need to be completely hidden from my phone. I would like to be able to receive text messages from that contact without getting any type of notifications. Such as if I lay my phone down and this contact texts me, I will not know until. I look at the phone myself. I would like for the app to be camouflage in some sort of way that it just looks like a regular application.

I want to try this out

chale13

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
For everyone here who is assuming he/she is cheating, my partner and I would love to have an app that does this. Why? Because the kid picks our phones up and reads our messages. Most of the time we are messaging about the kid! No cheating, but a definite need to hide it!

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
For everyone here who is assuming he/she is cheating, my partner and I would love to have an app that does this. Why? Because the kid picks our phones up and reads our messages. Most of the time we are messaging about the kid! No cheating, but a definite need to hide it!

Keep the phones locked with a passcode/password.
Tell the kids not to pick up your phones.
Tell/teach the kids especially to respect other people's privacy and that it's not okay to read anyone's messages without that person's permission.