What are the best options for my iPhone service while passing through Canada from NY to MI?

I

iMore Question

Best options for iPhone service while passing through Canada from NY to MI

My family and I are moving to Rochester, NY this summer. My in-laws and other relatives live in central and northern Michigan, so the fastest route back and forth is north of Lake Erie, via St. Catharines-London-Sarnia, Ontario. We're planning on making this drive 3-4 times a year, and we'd like to have some form of texting+emergency phone contact+possibly a bit of data while we're in Canada. We both have iPhone 6es on AT&T, but we also have one old iPhone 4s that we've hung on to and that we had unlocked in case it would come in handy for this kind of situation. Are we better off a) just paying AT&T for Canadian roaming 3-4 weekends a year, b) getting a prepaid SIM for the 4s, or c) something else? Any input from those who regularly cross the border or regularly drive this stretch of highway (i.e. which carriers have best coverage) would be really helpful.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Best options for iPhone service while passing through Canada from NY to MI

I could be mistaken, but couldn't you just enable roaming on your phones? I mean, depending on your plan, roaming could be included. Anyway, get with your current wireless provider and discuss it with them.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Re: Best options for iPhone service while passing through Canada from NY to MI

International roaming can be horribly expensive... AT&T likely has plans covering Canada that the OP could switch to for the billing cycle(s) they'll be traversing Canada and have protection from roaming bill shock...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods