I recently inherited an iPad Mini that is capable of using cellular data service. It has a slot on one edge for inserting a SIM card. I am retired, rarely travel, and only have a traditional land line telephone (from Verizon). I don't own a cell phone and have no cell phone number or cell service account at all.

Are there any carriers (serving Boston) which offer inexpensive cellular data services as a standalone service, without requiring one to also own a cell phone with a cell phone number and existing cell phone service account?

Because I only drive (mostly short distances) one or two days a week, and rarely travel away from home, I don't need much, just the ability to use the iPad Mini with GPS or other Internet services when I am not in range of a WiFi base station.
    02-21-2015 09:57 AM
    If T-Mobile works in your area I would try them out. They have pretty good priced tablet only plans and you don't have to have a cell plan with them. Good luck
    02-21-2015 10:23 AM
    iPads can also do pre-paid and you can sign up on the device and then just turn data on/off as you need it.
    02-21-2015 10:34 AM