Is the Mac Mini 2014, sufficient enough to store and edit a lot of photos from my DSLR camera?

I

iMore Question

Mac Mini 2014 and editing raw file photos.

Is the 2014 mac mini ($699 model or $999 model)sufficient to store and edit a lot of photos from my DLSR camera? I will be using either Adobe Photoshop Elements or Lightroom. From the RAW files. I am not a professional photographer, but am into photography. I don't want the computer to work super slowly, because of photo storage. I also want to be sure that I can do some basic editing with either of those programs

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Re: Mac Mini 2014 and editing raw file photos.

The newer mac minis should be more than capable for what you want to do. What you need to consider when you're ordering is the amount of RAM you get it with. The more RAM the better your programs will function when editing. I'm not too familiar with Mac Minis so I don't know if you can upgrade the RAM after you buy or if it's a soldered on solution like most of the Apple computers are now a days. If it's something you can add later depending on your skill level go with the 8GB and then add another 8GB yourself. You just have to be sure the 8GB that is already there is one stick of RAM not two otherwise upgrading later wont be as straightforward. If you are not comfortable doing the update or if it's a soldered on solution then upgrade to the 16GB if you can afford it. 8GB should be plenty but having 16GB will future proof it a little more and ensure that your editing happens smoothly. Since you mention working with RAW files the hard drive storage should also be something to look at so 512GB or 1TB should be plenty enough.

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Re: Mac Mini 2014 and editing raw file photos.

The $699 Mini is a fairly powerful computer that is comparable to a low end Macbook Pro. One potential flaw is the slower plate hard drive (compared to the SSD in the Macbook Air). I would consider either upgrading to the Fusion Drive (if you want a lot of onboard storage, particularly for those RAW files) or flash storage (faster, but smaller at 256 GB). This will put you at $899 which is a bit better deal than the $999 machine IMO as the 2.8 Ghz i5 in the $999 Mini is not that much more powerful than the 2.6 Ghz chip in the $699 model.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711