I have a mid-2010 27" iMac - Core i7, 2.93 GHz, etc and it's setup with an SSD for the primary/system drive a spinning 1 TB secondary drive. Instead of replacing the machine, I'm planning to upgrade the spinning drive to an SSD. I backup to Time Machine on an external drive regularly. All drives are encrypted through FV 2 and the TM drive is as well.

I have an Admin user and its home folder sits on the SSD currently along with all my apps, and my main user profile and data reside on the spinning drive.

I'm probably going to take it somewhere local to have the drive upgraded, but my question is this: Once upgraded, should I just login into the regular Admin user account and name the new SSD drive to the same name as the current spinning HDD? If it is named the same, will that avoid Time Machine having any hiccups when restoring to it? Time Machine has both drives in its backup, so I'm not sure how I would tell it to just restore to the new drive. Will I need to do the restore during a restart?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!
    02-16-2015 09:39 PM
    Assuming you have your system partitioned correctly...this should help you...

Time Machine - Frequently Asked Questions 32. Backing-up Multiple Drives / Partitions (on the same Mac)
    02-16-2015 11:33 PM