I am having a terrible problem with a type of ad that opens up often when I either open yahoo, facebook, or even news items. The main ad is about losing weight and shows people showing their six packs etc. and I also get another ad which shows Ellen Degeneres in different situations, old, one walking and says that cover girl dropped Ellen, leaked pictures etc.etc. I have no anti-virus but never had a problem in two or three years that I've had my MacPro. It started last December when I was in the US. Currently I am in Germany and continue to get these. They overshadow whatever it is I want to see. When it pops up I usually just close that tab and open a new one. It is usually OK, but when I want to see a news item often it appears again.
    02-11-2015 03:39 PM
    Many websites contain pop-up ads. To many of website owners, displaying ads are a way of generating revenue. Anyway, you can choose to not visit those sites. Now, some popups are malicious. The ones that mimic notifications are the worst, in my opinion, because many unsuspecting people assume that it's legit and therefore they select "ok" or whatever choice is given and end up installing adware, viruses, etcetera. Some are designed to cripple your computer's performance leading you to believe that the only way to clear it up is by installing an app that they provide. It's part of the risks associated with having access to the World Wide Web.
    02-11-2015 03:54 PM
    'D is right, but can you post an image (screenshot) of what it is that pops-up? I'm grateful I haven't had a single problem of this kind since I changed to a Mac, but it is the internet, so you never know. Try getting an antivirus, or better yet get Adblock extension (which are free)for your browsers, those are life changers!
    02-11-2015 05:08 PM
    It's a hijack... google/bing "remove browser hijack" and include PC or Mac as applicable...
    02-11-2015 05:14 PM