Why does my iPhone turn off when I still have battery life remaining?

Chrisy

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
My iPhone Turns Off When I Still Have Battery Life Remaining

One day my iPhone shut down with 50% battery remaining. I plugged it in and it took about 30 minutes for it to turn back on.

Ever since then it has been powering off at random battery % intervals and showing it needs to be charged.

I plug it in and it usually powers back on quickly showing 50% or 70%, whatever it "died" at.

Going to try to a wipe of the phone and restore. If that doesn't work, I'll try a DFU restore.

Last case, I suppose the battery needs to be replaced? I've had this iPhone 5c for a year and a half.

I've read others having this issue but no consistent solution. Anyone here successfully solved this issue?

I haven't updated to iOS 8 yet, so I'll do that in the process and make sure iTunes is also updated since I rarely do that.

Chrisy

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: My iPhone Turns Off When I Still Have Battery Life Remaining

image.jpg

And when it does stay on...the only thing I can think of that coincides with this issue is that I started using a 6 foot charger that I bought from Amazon. It's called Amazon Essentials and got good reviews. Any possible relation here?

Last case scenario battery replacement; how much will that cost with no AppleCare?

Last edited:

Janey_G

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site

This same thing happened to my daughters phone. Apple store wound up replacing it. Good luck! :)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
My iPhone Turns Off When I Still Have Battery Life Remaining

My recommendation is for you stop using the aforementioned cable and use one from Apple. If the problem persists, take the device to the nearest Apple Store to have them diagnose the problem for you. If there's a problem, they *may* replace it like they did for Janey's daughter.

Last edited:

Janey_G

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site

What if Chrisy doesn't like tomatoes? She might prefer strawberries...will those work? LOL

Chrisy

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site

Thank you all for the advice!! The nearest Apple store is an hour north but that is my next step after this weekend. I'm stopping the cable use, and on Sat will wipe the phone and start as new while updating the OS.

How it is now is that my phone lasts about 30 mins off of a charger. So basically I have to have it plugged it all day. I hope it's an OS battery calibration issue. But if it's the battery then I'll just get it replaced.

Thanks again, and I love tomatoes!

mega_nick5

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site

Hi Christy!
I can't help, but I wanted to let you know that this is how my problem started on my iPhone 5c of the same age as yours.
Now it's so bad that my phone must be hooked up to the Charger to stay on at all. It says it is at 100% all the time, and if I unhook it it turns off. Then I get that awful black screen with a battery showing red at the bottom for at least an hour. When it does turn back on, it is at 100%.
I'm putting off going to try and get this fixed. I'm looking for an answer to my question too!
I guess my point is, from my experience things probably are not going to get better ? I could have told my story exactly Word for Word the same as yours before it became the way it is now. This is only just starting I'm afraid, for you��

Originalloverman

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site

Sorry I'm sure that's frustrating, since it's almost two years old I would suggest getting a new phone, when are you due for and upgrade ?

Originalloverman

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site

Once the battery goes it's a downhill battle from there. Ohh and they are those extra battery back you can buy that attach to your phone it's a little bit bulkier not sure of you have a fancy case on or not but it's pretty much a case with a battery built in.

Chrisy

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site

I'm not due for an upgrade until October 2015. So probably having the battery replaced is my best option. I so wonder what caused this? I haven't read anything online that the Amazon iPhone charges cause this issue.

Is this a common issue for iPhones?

Last edited:

Chrisy

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site

Hi Christy!
I can't help, but I wanted to let you know that this is how my problem started on my iPhone 5c of the same age as yours.
Now it's so bad that my phone must be hooked up to the Charger to stay on at all. It says it is at 100% all the time, and if I unhook it it turns off. Then I get that awful black screen with a battery showing red at the bottom for at least an hour. When it does turn back on, it is at 100%.
I'm putting off going to try and get this fixed. I'm looking for an answer to my question too!
I guess my point is, from my experience things probably are not going to get better – I could have told my story exactly Word for Word the same as yours before it became the way it is now. This is only just starting I'm afraid, for you��

I'll post tomorrow and let you know if the wipe and reload helps at all. I'll know right away because my phone constantly dies when off the charger now. It just really seems like a battery calibration issue to me. It takes a charge and holds it. It just thinks it's at 0% when it's at 80%. Haha.

Chrisy

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site

The wipe and restore didn't work. Although it did delete my "other" data that was taking up space. So that's good. I wi have to get to an Apple store to have the battery checked.

I don't want to try the firmware reload. I was trying to download and install OS 8 but it said it would take 3 hours so I bailed. I hope I can just get the battery replaced.

Chrisy

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site

This is pretty cool:

I was locating the nearest Apple Store to make a reservation and I found that you can send diagnostic information from your iPhone! It did come back that battery needed service when I ran the test. How accurate us that? In any case, I made an appointment with a Genius next Saturday. This will be my first time in an Apple Store.

Here's a link to the support page where you can run either a Quick or Extended test!
https://getsupport.apple.com/Issues.action

Janey_G

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site

This is pretty cool:

I was locating the nearest Apple Store to make a reservation and I found that you can send diagnostic information from your iPhone! It did come back that battery needed service when I ran the test. How accurate us that? In any case, I made an appointment with a Genius next Saturday. This will be my first time in an Apple Store.

Here's a link to the support page where you can run either a Quick or Extended test!
https://getsupport.apple.com/Issues.action

That is definitely cool! I didn't know that you could send reports.

Just be careful in that Apple Store because you might wind up walking out with more than you came in with! LOL Good luck! :)

Bitrovitsh

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site

just change the battery.. it have a life stamp you need a new one that's all

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

I am. Just would like that it lasted longer than a year and a half!

I have an iP 5 I've been using for 17+ months. The battery is waning. I use it most of the day each day. I'm a heavy "time" user. But not a lot of videos or intense games. Some FaceTime, which is hard on the battery. My Wife loves to FaceTime me from the next room. Anyway, I experience some of that kind of battery behavior. I can be at 24%, then my Wife FaceTimes me, and after about 15 seconds the phone goes black with the spinning wheel. Then when I get home and plug in, it's at 24% immediately. I've noticed anything related to the camera and video will use up battery quickly. Especially on Cellular. It's not as bad on wifi. On Cellular, I can be at 35% and take 4 photos, then bam, it goes to 10%. Not good while vacationing. I was hoping to hold out until September when I upgrade. But I may have to go ahead and get a new battery. ☮

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

Chrisy

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site

I have an iP 5 I've been using for 17+ months. The battery is waning. I use it most of the day each day. I'm a heavy "time" user. But not a lot of videos or intense games. Some FaceTime, which is hard on the battery. My Wife loves to FaceTime me from the next room. Anyway, I experience some of that kind of battery behavior. I can be at 24%, then my Wife FaceTimes me, and after about 15 seconds the phone goes black with the spinning wheel. Then when I get home and plug in, it's at 24% immediately. I've noticed anything related to the camera and video will use up battery quickly. Especially on Cellular. It's not as bad on wifi. On Cellular, I can be at 35% and take 4 photos, then bam, it goes to 10%. Not good while vacationing. I was hoping to hold out until September when I upgrade. But I may have to go ahead and get a new battery. ☮

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

Yes, that's hpw mine started. As another poster wrote above, it seems to be a progressive action. Mine used to shut down at 1% for probably a year. Then it was at 10% then 20% and so on. Now it shuts off at 98%. It's strange though because I can take it off of the charger and listen to music or a podcast and it lasts a good hour or so. I supposed because I'm lot using that much battery by having the screen off.

My appointment at the Genius Bar (is that right) is Saurday at noon. Looking foward to cutting the cord again!

Editing to add: I updated my iPhone to iOS 8 this morning. It went well and I like the new OS! It didn't solve my issue though. I didn't think it would but still had some hope!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal